Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

AlexP56

Display Power BI report within SharePoint Page

Hello,

I have a Power BI Pro license within my organization. We have a SharePoint where I would like to display a report using the embed system (as explained here Embed a report web part in SharePoint Online - Power BI | Microsoft Learn).

I followed all the steps (creating a page, adding the PowerBI widget, finding the URL for "embed report" in SharePoint Online and pasting it within the settings of Power Bi in SharePoint Page), but it doesn't display anything. Just a blank space.

Any suggestions?

Regards,

Alex

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hey @AlexP56 ,

You are correct that if you are signed in with the same userid in all places, then it is not YOUR permissions.  I am wondering about permissions from SharePoint blocking Power BI ports maybe????  Kind of a long shot.

I am also wondering if the embed link you got was the right one??  I mean, did you get the link for "SharePoint Online" and not "web" or something else?  Again, just wondering....

And, I am sure you have this right, but just double checking, you used the "Power BI" web part and not a different web part?

And, you selected the page to start with?

collinq_0-1715287034901.png

Have you had somebody else try to do it (same or different report)?

Or, have you tried to do it on a different sharepoint site?

Or, what about just straight embedding it?  Like this link: Embed a report in a secure portal or website - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

This is a bit old, but I also found this link that talks about government sites but it has a little nugget about the URL string that might be required ("&autoAuth=true",)

Power BI Web Part - Not Displaying in Teams/SharePoint Site Page - Microsoft Community

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Private message me for consulting or training needs.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
AlexP56

Thank you @collinq 

It seems that the issue came from SharePoint, rather than PowerBI. My organisation is split in several branches, and I tried displaying the PowerBi report with authorizations linked to organisation A's email/account on organisation B's SharePoint. 

I thought I could display A's PowerBi on B's SharePoint but it does not work like this. This is a small set back in my project, but I will see if I can find a workaround.

Thank you very much for your time and ideas!

Have a nice day,

Alex

AlexP56

Hello, @collinq 

Thank you very much for your answer 🙂

When I said "nothing", I mean a blank space. See screenshots attached.

I have reviewed the limitations:

• The Power BI web part for SharePoint Online requires Modern Pages
  • To use an embedded report, users must sign in to the Power BI service to activate their Power BI license.
  • To embed a web part in SharePoint Online, you need a Power BI Pro or Premium Per User (PPU) license.

The Modern Page is activated on SharePoint, as I can include Power BI widget or other dynamic items, exactly as showed in the tutorial.

I am signed-in with the same Microsoft credentials in SharePoint and Power BI

I have a Pro License for Power BI

Regarding your point on permissions: If I am logged-in to both services through the same account, shouldn't the userid have same permissions?

Screenshot: page editing, showing the Power BI widget placementScreenshot: page editing, showing the Power BI widget placement

Page edition, showing Power BI widget placement

Screenshot: page published, showing blank spaceScreenshot: page published, showing blank space

Page published, showing blank space instead of the report

Screenshot: page editing, sharing link from Power BI pasted, but "page name" and '"display'" options not enabledScreenshot: page editing, sharing link from Power BI pasted, but "page name" and '"display'" options not enabled

When editing the page, pasting the shared link from Power BI does not enable "page name" and "display" options...

Thank you for your time/help

Alex

Hey @AlexP56 ,

You are correct that if you are signed in with the same userid in all places, then it is not YOUR permissions.  I am wondering about permissions from SharePoint blocking Power BI ports maybe????  Kind of a long shot.

I am also wondering if the embed link you got was the right one??  I mean, did you get the link for "SharePoint Online" and not "web" or something else?  Again, just wondering....

And, I am sure you have this right, but just double checking, you used the "Power BI" web part and not a different web part?

And, you selected the page to start with?

collinq_0-1715287034901.png

Have you had somebody else try to do it (same or different report)?

Or, have you tried to do it on a different sharepoint site?

Or, what about just straight embedding it?  Like this link: Embed a report in a secure portal or website - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

This is a bit old, but I also found this link that talks about government sites but it has a little nugget about the URL string that might be required ("&autoAuth=true",)

Power BI Web Part - Not Displaying in Teams/SharePoint Site Page - Microsoft Community

Proud to be a Datanaut!

collinq
Super User
Super User

Hi @AlexP56 ,

When you say "nothing" shows up - you mean no error message at all or do you see an "x" or a message about inability to display?  In that link you shared, have you reviewed the limitations and confirmed that none of those apply - partiularly the version?

The next thinking I have is as to your permissions and sign on.  Is the userid that has permissions to the report the same that you are signed into SharePoint with?

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors