Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

AndreaLee1212
Helper I
Helper I

Difference to have a workspace in a PRO license mode and a PRO user?

Hi all,

Struggling to understand the difference of licenses as a User and in a Workspace:

What is the difference when someone assign an external user for instance a PRO license or even me buy a PRO license or a PPU and a workspace being in a PRO or PREMIUM PER USER license mode ? 

I'm very confused about this... because if I'm a PRO user I can't view reports in a workspace under a PPU license mode, am I'm correct ? But what if I'm a PPU user can I see workspace in a PRO license mode ?

AndreaLee1212_0-1673542063749.png

The second doubt that I have is : let's say that I want to use AI advanced analytics ( ML, text analytics in Desktop), do I need to be a PPU user and publish to a Premium Capacity Workspace ? Or I can do this as a PRO user ? 

Please any help on this will be much appreciated ...

Andrea

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
djurecicK2
Super User
Super User

Hi @AndreaLee1212 ,

Yes, if you have a Pro license, you cannot access content in a PPU workspace. If you have a PPU license, you can access content in a pro workspace (assuming the correct permissions in both secenarios).

For your second question take a look at this article:

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/transform-model/desktop-ai-insights#enabling-text-analyti...

Cognitive Services are supported for Premium capacity nodes EM2, A2, or P1 and above. Cognitive services are also available with a Premium Per User (PPU) license. 

View solution in original post

v-binbinyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @AndreaLee1212 ,

In Power BI Service,There are three kinds of Power BI per-user licenses: Free, Pro, and Premium Per User (PPU). Which type of license you need is determined by where your content is stored, how you'll interact with that content, and if that content uses Premium features. The other type of license is a Premium capacity-based license. PPU and Pro users with access to a Power BI Premium capacity-based license, can create content in workspaces that are assigned to Premium capacity. PPU and Pro users can then grant colleagues, including free users, access to those Premium workspaces.

The important distinction to understand about licenses is that there are licenses that apply to an individual (per-user) and a license (often also referred to as a subscription) that applies to the type of storage capacity that an organization purchases. Each of the three per-user licenses is unique, and each grants access to certain Power BI service features and capabilities. When you combine the features and capabilities of each type of per-user license with the use of a Premium capacity, that is where Pro, PPU, and free license holders gain access to additional features and capabilities - such as sharing, collaboration, and more.

vbinbinyumsft_0-1673578943439.png

The table below describes which plans include the AI feature capability.

vbinbinyumsft_1-1673579354133.jpeg

For more details, you can read related document: 

Power BI Premium Per User - Power BI | Microsoft Learn 

Power BI service features by license type - Power BI | Microsoft Learn 

Connect to AI Insights in Power BI Desktop - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Introduction to AI Insights in Power BI Desktop - Microsoft Power BI Community

Best regards,
Community Support Team_Binbin Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-binbinyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @AndreaLee1212 ,

In Power BI Service,There are three kinds of Power BI per-user licenses: Free, Pro, and Premium Per User (PPU). Which type of license you need is determined by where your content is stored, how you'll interact with that content, and if that content uses Premium features. The other type of license is a Premium capacity-based license. PPU and Pro users with access to a Power BI Premium capacity-based license, can create content in workspaces that are assigned to Premium capacity. PPU and Pro users can then grant colleagues, including free users, access to those Premium workspaces.

The important distinction to understand about licenses is that there are licenses that apply to an individual (per-user) and a license (often also referred to as a subscription) that applies to the type of storage capacity that an organization purchases. Each of the three per-user licenses is unique, and each grants access to certain Power BI service features and capabilities. When you combine the features and capabilities of each type of per-user license with the use of a Premium capacity, that is where Pro, PPU, and free license holders gain access to additional features and capabilities - such as sharing, collaboration, and more.

vbinbinyumsft_0-1673578943439.png

The table below describes which plans include the AI feature capability.

vbinbinyumsft_1-1673579354133.jpeg

For more details, you can read related document: 

Power BI Premium Per User - Power BI | Microsoft Learn 

Power BI service features by license type - Power BI | Microsoft Learn 

Connect to AI Insights in Power BI Desktop - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Introduction to AI Insights in Power BI Desktop - Microsoft Power BI Community

Best regards,
Community Support Team_Binbin Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-binbinyu-msft , @djurecicK2 

First of all THANK YOU !

All your explanations helped me to understand this PBI license world.

But there is something in my case that it's not making any sense to me: my License is PPU.

AndreaLee1212_0-1673622576122.png

But if I go to MyWorkspace it appears: Pro user and 10 GB of space.

AndreaLee1212_1-1673623056307.png

If I'm a PPU should not appear 100 TB of space ?

Thanks in advance,

Andrea

djurecicK2
Super User
Super User

Hi @AndreaLee1212 ,

Yes, if you have a Pro license, you cannot access content in a PPU workspace. If you have a PPU license, you can access content in a pro workspace (assuming the correct permissions in both secenarios).

For your second question take a look at this article:

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/transform-model/desktop-ai-insights#enabling-text-analyti...

Cognitive Services are supported for Premium capacity nodes EM2, A2, or P1 and above. Cognitive services are also available with a Premium Per User (PPU) license. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors