Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

MarcusClaudius
Regular Visitor

Desktop Application verses Web Based Application

To all

Does the web based application have identical features to its desktop counterpart?

For example, Are you able to have mulitple sets of data in a single report?
Also within the web based program, are you able to edit query data prior to using it to build reports?

Thanks

Mark

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

No, not identical. You essentially do not have much or any control over the data model in the Service. So you can't have multiple datasets in one report when doing things solely in the Service and you cannot add columns and measures in the Service, etc.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

View solution in original post

Hi @MarcusClaudius,

So if I wish to edit, append, merge, etc the query data, then I would have you use the desktop application.

Yes, that's right. Smiley Happy

More details:

What is Power BI Desktop?

Power BI Desktop is a free desktop application you can install right on your own computer. Power BI Desktop works cohesively with the Power BI service by providing advanced data exploration, shaping, modeling, and report creation with highly interactive visualizations. You can save your work to a file, and publish your data and reports right to your Power BI site to share with others.

What is Microsoft Power BI Service?

Power BI is a cloud-based business analytics service that enables anyone to visualize and analyze data with greater speed, efficiency, and understanding. It connects users to a broad range of data through easy-to-use dashboards, interactive reports, and compelling visualizations that bring data to life.

Regards

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

No, not identical. You essentially do not have much or any control over the data model in the Service. So you can't have multiple datasets in one report when doing things solely in the Service and you cannot add columns and measures in the Service, etc.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Thanks

So if I wish to edit, append, merge, etc the query data, then I would have you use the desktop application.

Hi @MarcusClaudius,

Yes, that's right. Smiley Happy

More details:

What is Power BI Desktop?

Power BI Desktop is a free desktop application you can install right on your own computer. Power BI Desktop works cohesively with the Power BI service by providing advanced data exploration, shaping, modeling, and report creation with highly interactive visualizations. You can save your work to a file, and publish your data and reports right to your Power BI site to share with others.

What is Microsoft Power BI Service?

Power BI is a cloud-based business analytics service that enables anyone to visualize and analyze data with greater speed, efficiency, and understanding. It connects users to a broad range of data through easy-to-use dashboards, interactive reports, and compelling visualizations that bring data to life.

Regards

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors