Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

DenysLykov
Frequent Visitor

Deleting, hiding elements of work in relation to Power BI Workspace

I apologise if I am asking the obvious: If there's a request not to share info that is wholly in a Power BI report, then the report object has to be deleted from Power BI Workspace. If it's only a page on a report that contains the info that doesn’t have to be shared then the page has to be hidden or deleted and the report is re-uploaded to the Workspace. Could you please confirm that this is the right course of actions?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Security by Obscurity does not work. 

Hiding pages will do nothing for your data security if the users have access to the data model behind your dataset.

Deleting your data (or not uploading it in the first place) is your only safe option.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Security by Obscurity does not work. 

Hiding pages will do nothing for your data security if the users have access to the data model behind your dataset.

Deleting your data (or not uploading it in the first place) is your only safe option.

Sure, the dataset can be deleted too. I was only talking about visualisations (Reports / Pages) for the visual representation. Hidden page will be unhidden when a user downloads the .pbix. However, speaking only of the end users who will see the very final product the obscurity should do in that case...

HI @DenysLykov,

I think the hide feature may not dynamic enough to match all of your requirements.

In my opinion, I'd like to suggest setup RLS on table records to display records based on username, these unmatched pages visuals data will be filtered. RLS with UserName()

In addition, you can also consider creating multiple versions of the report and use different versions to specify which type of content user can be viewed.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Hi! RLS Would not really work since the whole report is about the topic that doesn't have to be shared including the Workspace users. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors