Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

theDarkPrince
Advocate II
Advocate II

Datasets in Power BI Service

Hi everyone, I have a question regarding performance. More specifically, between DirectQuery and Live connection to a PBI Service Dataset. I'm going to share as much details as possible. Sorry in advance if the post becomes lengthy.

Thus far, I have been creating reports in PBI Desktop which would use multiple DirectQueries (some for fact tables, some for dimension tables and so on) to fetch underlying data. The source for direct queries is SQL Server (cloud). However, we noticed that for some visuals there are millions & millions of rows being fetched which is causing significant delay in rendering of the visual.

What I have done so far is - I published the report to PBI Service, then deleted it from there but kept the dataset in PBI Service. My question is if I create an empty report in PBI Desktop and create a Live connection to the aforementioned dataset in PBI Service, will that improve the performance ?? The reason I am concerned is I think even the dataset in PBI Service consists of DirectQueries to SQL Server. So, if live connection improves performance, where exactly is the latency reduced ?

I think this question is very specific and therefore I have not found the answer to it (yet). I figured asking on community would be faster. Also, in the scenario of Live connection, does scheduled refresh (and incremental refresh -- Is this an option here ??) play any important role. if you're still here, thanks in advance for reading patiently. Any information/links would be helpful.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anand24
Super User
Super User

Hi @theDarkPrince ,

1. My question is if I create an empty report in PBI Desktop and create a Live connection to the aforementioned dataset in PBI Service, will that improve the performance ??

Ans: Based on Personal experience, No. Infact when you compare the performance in incognito mode, the report with DirectQuery dataset performs a bit better than live connection report.

2. Also, in the scenario of Live connection, does scheduled refresh (and incremental refresh -- Is this an option here ??) play any important role

Ans: Scheduled Refresh is useful only if you have atleast one table in import mode. Otherwise it doesn't make much sense since data is coming anyway from Database.

Not quite sure about incremental refresh but definitely it is an option in DirectQuery Source as well.

Give a thumbs up if this post helped you in any way and mark this post as solution if it solved your query !!!

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Anand24
Super User
Super User

Hi @theDarkPrince ,

1. My question is if I create an empty report in PBI Desktop and create a Live connection to the aforementioned dataset in PBI Service, will that improve the performance ??

Ans: Based on Personal experience, No. Infact when you compare the performance in incognito mode, the report with DirectQuery dataset performs a bit better than live connection report.

2. Also, in the scenario of Live connection, does scheduled refresh (and incremental refresh -- Is this an option here ??) play any important role

Ans: Scheduled Refresh is useful only if you have atleast one table in import mode. Otherwise it doesn't make much sense since data is coming anyway from Database.

Not quite sure about incremental refresh but definitely it is an option in DirectQuery Source as well.

Give a thumbs up if this post helped you in any way and mark this post as solution if it solved your query !!!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Kudoed Authors