Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

smalaviya

Power BI service - Schedule refresh

Hi,

I am working on a solution wherein I need to refresh a power BI dashboard hosted on a workspace using the schedule refresh option on Power BI service. I have two questions with regards to the to the schedule refresh option.

1. There is an option to notify the relevant stakeholders in case the PowerBI refresh fails, however there is no option to notify the stakeholders when the refresh is successful. Can anyone please let me know if my understanding is correct or is there a way the stakeholders can be notified in case of a successful refresh as well.

2. Is there a way we can deliberately fail the PowerBI schedule refresh? We want to test a few cases and for that we need to get refresh failure emails from PowerBI. 

Thank you for your help.

Regards,

Shobhit  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
JosefPrakljacic
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hello @smalaviya,

I know only one option to send a mail also in case of a successful refresh. And this is to use the Power BI Rest Api. Here you have a parameter that determines that the mail is also sent in case of a success. ->https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/rest/api/power-bi/datasets/refreshdataset

To your second point.

This depends on your data source. If it is a SQL Server you can drop the table after uploading the report. Or change the credentials on the dataset. This way your dataset will surely run into an error.

Please don't forget to give a 👍 and accept the post as solution. (If it helped 😅)
Have a nice day!

BR,
Josef
Graz - Austria

View-my-LinkedIn-profile-image-3-300x140.png.png

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
JosefPrakljacic
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hello @smalaviya,

I know only one option to send a mail also in case of a successful refresh. And this is to use the Power BI Rest Api. Here you have a parameter that determines that the mail is also sent in case of a success. ->https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/rest/api/power-bi/datasets/refreshdataset

To your second point.

This depends on your data source. If it is a SQL Server you can drop the table after uploading the report. Or change the credentials on the dataset. This way your dataset will surely run into an error.

Please don't forget to give a 👍 and accept the post as solution. (If it helped 😅)
Have a nice day!

BR,
Josef
Graz - Austria

View-my-LinkedIn-profile-image-3-300x140.png.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors