Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Dataflows - Only Refresh Specific Tables

Hi there,

Within dataflow, is it possible to set up refresh only for group of tables and keep the other tables as is. The purpose is, in the same entity I have lookup tables and Fact Tables. Lookup tables don't change so I don't need to refresh those, the only changing table is fact table. 

Thanks

Duygu

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Anonymous 

Linked Entities refresh differently if they are together in the workspace or in separate workspaces. If all together in the same workspace, refreshing the main Dataflow will also force the linked entities to refresh. If the linked entities are in other workspaces, refreshing the dataflow will not force a refresh in the linked entities. Be aware that Linked Entities require a Premium licence. In this case I'd just go with two separate Dataflows, not linked, with different refresh schedules. Simpler, cheaper and gets the job done.

Hope this helps

Stuart

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Burningsuit
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @Anonymous 

No, as far as I'm aware refresh is set for the Dataflow and not for individual tables in it.

In this scenario I'd have two Dataflows, one with the Fact table and one with the Dimension (lookup) tables. You can then set a different refresh time for each Dataflow.

Hope this helps

Stuart

Anonymous
Not applicable

thanks Stuart, I thought about that however if I add dimension data flow as a linked entity to Fact data flow, do you know how set up refresh in fact data flow works? Does it also refreshes linked entity? 

Hi @Anonymous 

Linked Entities refresh differently if they are together in the workspace or in separate workspaces. If all together in the same workspace, refreshing the main Dataflow will also force the linked entities to refresh. If the linked entities are in other workspaces, refreshing the dataflow will not force a refresh in the linked entities. Be aware that Linked Entities require a Premium licence. In this case I'd just go with two separate Dataflows, not linked, with different refresh schedules. Simpler, cheaper and gets the job done.

Hope this helps

Stuart

@Burningsuit  In the dataflow that contains the linked entities from the same work space, is it just the linked entities that are refreshed, or is the entire dataflow refreshed? 

For example, if I have one linked Employee table, will it only refresh the Employee linked entity (and any associated merged computed tables)? Or, will Employee and ALL the other dataflow tables refresh?

Is there a way to NOT have linked tables refresh when the source dataflow is running?

Anonymous
Not applicable

really helpful, thank you very much. one more question, when I want to use that data flow in Power BI desktop, I can only use one data flow right? that's why I brought two data flows together by using linked entities.

Anonymous
Not applicable

sorry, I just realised I can bring different entities from different data flows to Desktop. You can ignore my question above. thank you for your response.

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors