Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

PWasniewski
Regular Visitor

Dataflow limitations in Power BI Pro

Hi Everyone!

due to some refreshing problems of the dataflow I have a question, for which I couldn't have found answer in manuals or open internet.

Are there any limitations for dataflows in Power BI Pro using on-premises data gateway (enterprise mode)?

I'm using predefined ADLS for Power BI, so I haven't found any options to check/modify some variables (also checked at azure portal), as it is possible for Premium licences.

I know, that in Premium capacity there are options to change, for example, the size of containers.

(e.g. https://blog.crossjoin.co.uk/2019/04/21/power-bi-dataflow-container-size/)

I'm wondering whether my failures with data tables refreshing in the dataflow are procured by the default limitations of the storage settings or maybe they are caused by the local server.

Some more informations (maybe valuable):

- I'm using the standard, predefault dataflow storage

- data source is SQL Server,

- the data table is quite big, but not enormous (index space 160 MB, row count >600k), 

- I've tried refreshing the smaller table in separate dataflow and it went OK,

- I've tried refreshing the last 1k rows of that table in another separate dataflow and it also went OK,

- my next try was to prepare new power bi desktop file .pbix with this table as data source, I'he published it and dataset also refreshed correctly,

- the failure id is unknown in the internet, and the text of it (getted out of the gateway side) says sth about bad credentials, which is quite weird, as I didn't change anything,

- local sql server is set at quite old and "week" hardware, so it is possible, that the problems maybe caused by that 🙂

Looking forward to hearing from You, Thank You in advance!

Regards,

Piotr

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @v-eachen-msft 

Thank You for Your response! 

The refresh failed after ~30 min, so it's far from the 2h edge 🙂

Second tip is more convenient, but I have used other solution - I have reduced the queries from that biggest table, and after that  refreshing has finally finished correctly.

Thank You once again!

Regards,

Piotr

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-eachen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @PWasniewski ,

I think you ran into the refresh time out( 2 hours ). 
You could broke up a big model into entities in 5-6 different dataflows in the same workspace. Then stagger the refresh time.

Community Support Team _ Eads
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it.

Hi @v-eachen-msft 

Thank You for Your response! 

The refresh failed after ~30 min, so it's far from the 2h edge 🙂

Second tip is more convenient, but I have used other solution - I have reduced the queries from that biggest table, and after that  refreshing has finally finished correctly.

Thank You once again!

Regards,

Piotr

Hi @PWasniewski ,

I am glad that you could find a solution. You could accept your own reply to let other users find it more quickly.

Community Support Team _ Eads
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Kudoed Authors