Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Beu
Frequent Visitor

Dataflow Refresh Problem - We cannot convert the value "01/02/2022" to type Date

Hey everyone,

I have a DataFlow on Power BI Server and it just gave me this error after scheduled refresh:

"Error: PipelineException: We cannot convert the value "01/02/2022" to type Date. . RootActivityId = 01ddfd19-ab3e-44ce-a23d-633ca23ea9f7.Param1 = PipelineException: We cannot convert the value "01/02/2022" to type Date. Request ID: ea10cda3-6149-2458-6e3c-35e54dfc387c."

I haven't made any changes on the dataset, it is the same and all of a sudden it started failing.

Beu_0-1643727522524.png

Does anyone have any ideia of what may have happened? Is it a bug of MS or did I do something wrong? I already checked the dataset and it has no apparent errors nor warning messages.

Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
aj1973
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @Beu 

Open Power Query online and verify the column of the date. If it is not already converted then do it, some change may have happened at the source, it is very commun.

Regards
Amine Jerbi

If I answered your question, please mark this thread as accepted
and you can follow me on
My Website, LinkedIn and Facebook

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
sevenhills
Super User
Super User

aj1973
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @Beu 

Open Power Query online and verify the column of the date. If it is not already converted then do it, some change may have happened at the source, it is very commun.

Regards
Amine Jerbi

and you can follow me on

Beu
Frequent Visitor

Hi @aj1973,

Thank you for replying me,

One thing that I did try was openning the Power Query Online to see if I find a few errors and as nothing was found. Then I undid two steps on Query Settings Pane (there was only two plus the Source) to see if the message disappears. The steps were:

1. Convert two columns from "datetime" to "date"

2. Add a new "date" type column

After I undid these two steps, apparently the error message was gone and it refreshed correctly.

Though I still think it's weird that it took only 3 minutes to update when before it was about 15.

After that, I recreated the same two steps and it updated still taking 3 minutes and no error found.

Curious fact is that all the tables from the dataflow reduced their refreshing time (some by half):

Beu_1-1643754762139.png

I really think it was a bug on MS Power BI Server.

Anyway, at least it is working again as it should with no faults.

Thanks for trying to help!

aj1973
Community Champion
Community Champion

Ahaa, one of many rules for report performance is to split the Date/Time column into 2 columns Date and Time. I Invite you to take a look at this

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/best-practice-rules-to-improve-your-models-performance/

Glad you made it.

Regards
Amine Jerbi

and you can follow me on

Beu
Frequent Visitor

Amine, 

This article came at a perfect time for me, thank you!

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors