Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Aleksandra_MLT
Advocate I
Advocate I

Data source error: The credentials provided for the UsageMetricsDataConnector source are invalid. (S

Guys, I get the following error upon usage metrics refresh: 

Data source error:The credentials provided for the UsageMetricsDataConnector source are invalid. (Source at UsageMetricsDataConnector.). The exception was raised by the IDbCommand interface. Table: Report pages.

I recreated the report, and re-enterred credentials multiple times and do not understand why it still fails. I am Power BI admin but I've got only guest account. But could that be an issue ? 

6 REPLIES 6
NuruddinAzman
Frequent Visitor

Hi! i am having the same problem but i did not find any problem with my license (pro) and credential (organization), i tried to update the credential for the UsageMetricsDataConnector but it keep failing. It seem like it happen to all workspaces in my power BI tab. I tried these few recomended solutions:
1. Edit Credential: Failed

2. Delete usage data in system storage, rebuild usage metrics and reenter credential: Failed 
Hope some one could help, need the solution urgently. Thanks in advance.

NuruddinAzman_0-1708476543679.png

Hello, @NuruddinAzman , for me it was that I was using guest account and requesting normal comapny account solved the issue. If that is not your case, you may log a ticket with Microsoft.

Data_NewAim
Frequent Visitor

Hi @Aleksandra_MLT did you solve this problem since I had a similar one and wanted to pick your brains if it's already worked out. Thanks

Hey, @Data_NewAim , it appears that all limitations were coming from the fact that I had a guest account. I requested new company's account and that solved the issue.

v-rongtiep-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Aleksandra_MLT ,

Based on the error message you provided, it seems that the credentials provided for the UsageMetricsDataConnector source are invalid. This could be due to several reasons, such as incorrect login information, expired credentials, or insufficient permissions. Regarding your question about your guest account, it's possible that this could be causing the issue if the guest account does not have the necessary permissions to access the data source. I would recommend checking with your Power BI administrator to ensure that your account has the appropriate permissions to access the data source. Additionally, you may want to try resetting the credentials for the data source and double-checking that you have entered them correctly. If the issue persists, you may need to contact Microsoft support for further assistance.

How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly 

If it does not help, please provide more details.

Best Regards
Community Support Team _ Rongtie

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hey, @v-rongtiep-msft !
The most (not) funny thing is that I am Power BI admin and from admin settings all seetings are in place for guest account to create the content as well as to track user metrics.

What confuses me the most is that per documentation it looks like whoever in organisation was the first to set up the usage metrics, those credentials are being used for refresh: 

Aleksandra_MLT_0-1686809340412.png

So I guess whenever I create metrics it connects to that dataset and fails ? The biggest problem is that I do not see it so I could take it over. When I go to the workspace settings for some reeason I see 2 of them 

Aleksandra_MLT_1-1686809680106.png

whereas in dataset settings I see only one and those credemtials are mine: 

Aleksandra_MLT_2-1686809869826.png

Maybe there is something I am still missing here but yeah, the next step would be to log a ticket with Ms.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Kudoed Authors