Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

stevepickering

Data not updating in Power BI Service

I have a one field that periodically does not update in Power BI service during the scheduled refesh.  Instead it retains the value from the day before.  All the other fields in the report update correctly.

If I refresh the report in Power BI desktop it updates fine.

I'm at a loss as to why this is happening.  The dataset size is only 16mb.

The measure formula is: 

Budget Hrs This Week = CALCULATE([Budget Allocation Hrs],FILTER(Dates, Dates[Week To Date]="Yes"))

This formula uses another measure called Budget Allocation Hrs. It's formula is:
Budget Allocation Hrs =
VAR DaysinContext = sum(Dates[Work Day])
VAR DaysinMonth = CALCULATE( SUM(Dates[Work Day] ), ALL( Dates ), VALUES( Dates[Month Year] ) )
VAR CurrentMonth = SELECTEDVALUE( Dates[Month Number] )
VAR MonthlyBudgetAmounts = CALCULATE( [Total Budget Hours], FILTER( ALL( participant_kpis[Month] ) , CurrentMonth = participant_kpis[Month] ) )

RETURN
IF( OR( HASONEVALUE( Dates[Date] ), HASONEVALUE( Dates[Month Year] ) ),
    DIVIDE( DaysinContext, DaysinMonth, 0 ) * MonthlyBudgetAmounts,
        [Total Budget Hours] )

This formula uses another measure called Total Budget Hours.  It's formula is:
Total Budget Hours = sum(participant_kpis[billable_hours])

Any help would be appreciated!
7 REPLIES 7
arock-well
Helper V
Helper V

Did you ever resolve this? I'm having a similar issue where fields are updating as expected, but one Measure is not updating.

dcrow5378
Helper III
Helper III

I have this same issue. 

Dataset is connected to SQL Server Queries.  Only a few select items will retain their old value while the rest of the report will refresh properly.

Using an on premise gateway to refresh a couple times a day.  To correct the issue, I must open the .pbix > refresh data > update app.

Any one have ideas on this one?

Stemar_Aubert
Resolver I
Resolver I

I've had a similar issue on my end, where some filters or visuals would not update properly while viewing online.

Did you try to refresh while purging the cache of your browser? This is what worked for us.

venal
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

@stevepickering 

I have few queries on this?

1. Data Source

2. Connectivity Mode (Import/Direct Query)

3. Gateway 

4. Gateway Status(screenshot)

As you said that the issue is onl with the one field, Have you tried to create a report after completion of the dataset refresh.

Path:- Goto workspace>> Datasets >> Creata e report icon >> take a Table visual >> Check for that field data.

Try to refresh the report and check the same in Power BI Desktop. Export the data into csv and compare to found the missing data.

If you observe any data discrepency, please let us know.

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more
If this post was helpful may I ask you to mark it as solution and click on thumb symbol?

@venal   Thanks for your reply.

To answer your queries:

1. Data source is Azure SQL Database and Azure Blob Storage  (although the data for this field is from the SQL database)

2. Import

3. No gateway used as not on-prem

Next time I have the issue I will try the create report option to compare.  (it happens every couple of days so I shouldn't have to wait too long) Thanks for that suggestion.

@stevepickering 

Thanks for the reply.

As suggested, please try to re-pro the issue.

If the issue is persists, please submit a support ticket to investigate.

If you raise a ticket, please share it here for reference.

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more
If this post was helpful may I ask you to mark it as solution and click on thumb symbol?

I have worked out the variance but not sure why it is happening.

The field has the formula:  Budget Hrs This Week = CALCULATE([Budget Allocation Hrs],FILTER(Dates, Dates[Week To Date]="Yes"))

The field [Week to Date] is returning different values in Desktop vs Service.

Desktop

Desktop screenshot.PNG

Service

Service screenshot.PNG

The field Week To Date in the date table uses this formula: 

WkToDate = IF(((WeekNumber=WEEKNUM(TODAY()) && YearDate=YEAR(TODAY()) && BaseDate < TODAY())),"Yes","No")

The other variables are defined as:
WeekNumber = WEEKNUM(BaseDate)
YearDate = YEAR(BaseDate)

Any idea why this returning different results between Desktop and Service?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Kudoed Authors