Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

JeffreyFox
Frequent Visitor

Data credentials initial log-in hangs

I've just begun working with Power BI and am now looking to publish reports that refresh automatically for our users. What I can't figure out is what is causing my attempts to add my credentials to just hang forever. The process here never finishes, despite me entering correct or incorrect log-in information, so I don't know what the actual error is. Also with my very amateur knowledge I don't know if I've missed a step prior to this, I missed the class on uploading and credentials.

• I'm connecting to an ODBC database with our Plex system.
  • In Power BI desktop I'm able to refresh manually to get the data with no major problems (aside from the occasional timeout).
  • I think I'm entering the correct credentials, but again it never finishes so I'm not getting an error message to confirm or deny that.
  • My basic understanding here is that because this is an ODBC connection to a server containing my data I don't need a gateway, please correct me if I'm wrong here. 

JeffreyFox_0-1673369145342.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

My basic understanding here is that because this is an ODBC connection to a server containing my data I don't need a gateway, please correct me if I'm wrong here. 

you are wrong there.  On-premise data sources require a gateway.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

My basic understanding here is that because this is an ODBC connection to a server containing my data I don't need a gateway, please correct me if I'm wrong here. 

you are wrong there.  On-premise data sources require a gateway.

Thanks, I'll circle back around to that and see if that allows me to refresh the data. Once I confirm I'll click the "accept as solution" button to close this one. Fingers crossed!

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors