Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

JeffreyFox
Frequent Visitor

Data credentials initial log-in hangs

I've just begun working with Power BI and am now looking to publish reports that refresh automatically for our users. What I can't figure out is what is causing my attempts to add my credentials to just hang forever. The process here never finishes, despite me entering correct or incorrect log-in information, so I don't know what the actual error is. Also with my very amateur knowledge I don't know if I've missed a step prior to this, I missed the class on uploading and credentials.

• I'm connecting to an ODBC database with our Plex system.
  • In Power BI desktop I'm able to refresh manually to get the data with no major problems (aside from the occasional timeout).
  • I think I'm entering the correct credentials, but again it never finishes so I'm not getting an error message to confirm or deny that.
  • My basic understanding here is that because this is an ODBC connection to a server containing my data I don't need a gateway, please correct me if I'm wrong here. 

JeffreyFox_0-1673369145342.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

My basic understanding here is that because this is an ODBC connection to a server containing my data I don't need a gateway, please correct me if I'm wrong here. 

you are wrong there.  On-premise data sources require a gateway.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

My basic understanding here is that because this is an ODBC connection to a server containing my data I don't need a gateway, please correct me if I'm wrong here. 

you are wrong there.  On-premise data sources require a gateway.

Thanks, I'll circle back around to that and see if that allows me to refresh the data. Once I confirm I'll click the "accept as solution" button to close this one. Fingers crossed!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors