Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Stewwe
Helper I
Helper I

Data Mart - Connection Error

Hello folks,

I have created my first datamart and filled it with data. Now I wanted to look at it in Azure Data Studio and see what I can do there.

I click on "Edit in Azure Studio" in the settings of the data mart in the PowerBI service. Unfortunately, in Azure Data Studio I get the following error:

Stewwe_0-1676535857777.png

What can I Do?

I am administrator of the workspace in PowerBI.

Thank you for your help.

Stewwe

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
jaweher899
Super User
Super User

Based on the error message you provided, it seems that the login used to connect to the data mart is not authorized to access the data mart. To resolve this issue, you may try the following steps:

1. Check if the login used to connect to the data mart has the necessary permissions to access the data mart. In Azure Data Studio, you can use the Object Explorer to connect to the SQL Server instance and expand the Security folder to see the logins. You can then check the properties of the login to see its permissions.

2. If the login does not have the necessary permissions, you may need to add it to the appropriate security group or assign the necessary permissions to the login. This can be done using SQL Server Management Studio or T-SQL scripts.

3. Make sure that the server name, database name, and login credentials are correct. You can double-check these details in the Power BI service by going to the data mart settings and reviewing the connection details.

4. If you are using a firewall or VPN, make sure that the necessary ports are open and the VPN connection is established before connecting to the data mart in Azure Data Studio.

Once you have checked and corrected any potential issues, you should be able to connect to the data mart in Azure Data Studio without any issues.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
PPStar
Helper IV
Helper IV

i am having the same issue. 

Is there any way we can check / amend the firewall on the Azure SQL for Datamarts?

Also, what ports need to be open to be able to connect to the Datamart?

Stewwe
Helper I
Helper I

Thank you very much. After a long search we found out that it was a firewall problem.

Thanks for the help @jaweher899 ! 🙂

jaweher899
Super User
Super User

Based on the error message you provided, it seems that the login used to connect to the data mart is not authorized to access the data mart. To resolve this issue, you may try the following steps:

1. Check if the login used to connect to the data mart has the necessary permissions to access the data mart. In Azure Data Studio, you can use the Object Explorer to connect to the SQL Server instance and expand the Security folder to see the logins. You can then check the properties of the login to see its permissions.

2. If the login does not have the necessary permissions, you may need to add it to the appropriate security group or assign the necessary permissions to the login. This can be done using SQL Server Management Studio or T-SQL scripts.

3. Make sure that the server name, database name, and login credentials are correct. You can double-check these details in the Power BI service by going to the data mart settings and reviewing the connection details.

4. If you are using a firewall or VPN, make sure that the necessary ports are open and the VPN connection is established before connecting to the data mart in Azure Data Studio.

Once you have checked and corrected any potential issues, you should be able to connect to the data mart in Azure Data Studio without any issues.

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors