Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Dashboard alerts from shared dataset not working

Hi all,

I have had a look through some posts but wasn't able to find any that specifically match my case although there are a few that are close - unable to find an answer from these.

We have cards set up in a report which are then pulled into a dashboard and alerted from - these have been working with no issue for the past 6 months.

I recently moved the report over to using a shared dataset rather than individual sources and these alerts have stopped working. The only way i can get the alerts to trigger is to go to the dashboard on the browser and refresh the page.

Does anyone know of a way to fix this? Would be incredibly disappointing if we are unable to use a feature like alerts while using the shared dataset feature.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Converting to a local model and adding another source that requires a refresh has resolved my issue - not ideal but it works!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-yangliu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi  @Anonymous ,

May I ask if you clicked the refresh button in power bi or the refresh of the browser you clicked?

If you click the refresh button in power bi, because the shared dataset uses the live connection connection mode,

In this connection mode, there is no Schedule refresh, a connection is established directly with the data source, and clicking the refrsh button in the power bi is only related to the live connection of Analysis Services, Only pinned visuals are refreshed, not pinned live pages.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/refresh-data#refresh-of-report-visuals

Best Regards,

Liu Yang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Liu Yang,

I am refreshing the browser as oppose to refreshing the dataset. I am going to try converting the report to a local model and adding in a miscellaneous import dataset so that I can set a scheduled refresh and see if that works.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Converting to a local model and adding another source that requires a refresh has resolved my issue - not ideal but it works!

v-yangliu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi  @Anonymous ,

According to official restrictions:

Alerts only work on refreshed data. They don't work on static data.

Since alerts are only sent if your data changes, you won't receive duplicate alerts for an unchanged value.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/create-reports/service-set-data-alerts#considerations-and-troubleshooting

The alert will only fire after the data is refreshed,

If the report is connected to a shared dataset, it will not be possible to set data refresh and will not trigger an alert

Best Regards,

Liu Yang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Liu Yang,

Thanks for getting back to me, this was my fear - although im still not sure it makes sense as even though i don't have a scheduled refresh on this report itself; there is one on the shared dataset - the data is still getting refreshed.

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Fabric Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Fabric update to learn about new features.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

Top Solution Authors