Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

shubhamc_002
Helper I
Helper I

Cross Report sync slicer in Power BI service

Hi Team,
Is there any plan to enable Cross report Sync slicer feature in Power BI service. This feature will open lot of possibilities in Power BI eco system.

Some of the use cases are mentioned below,

1. If multiple BI reports are shared by using App and if any one slicer selected then same selection will retain in other BI report as well. This will be a very good experience for end users throughout the app.
2. This should be very good programmatical approach to filter data in other BI report compare to passing filter parameters in URL if destination BI report also part of same App experience.
3. We can enable customized common security layer which will be applicable for all BI reports hosted in same App experience.

Conclusion: Sharing BI report via App mechanism is great but cross report sync slicer will make this more effective and seamless exp. for end users.

Some workaround but not very effective/limitations

1. Passing parameter by using URL to destination but this require DAX measure to be created very carefully which should concatenate slicer selection in specific format.

2. Drillthrough mechanism , but this feature cant solve the purpose of above requirement. 

3. Common dataset , but In practical scenario this wont be feasible because of the variety and scale of data we are dealing with.

4. Power Apps write back functionality , but it will be too complex implementation and require specific additional subscription to enable write back functionality for data source.

Let me know any easy implementation approach for enable this and or upcoming feature release for the same.

4 REPLIES 4
Anand24
Super User
Super User

Hi @shubhamc_002 ,
Cross report syncing of slicers is currently not possible in Power BI. The max you can do is cross report drill-through. Check if cross-report drill-through works in your use case.

v-yohua-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @shubhamc_002 

Thank you for reaching out and sharing your interest in the Power BI service's cross-report sync slicer feature. As of now, the direct cross-report sync slicer feature, as described above, isn't available in Power BI. However, I can suggest some methods that can help you achieve similar results.

The template app allows you to package a complete Power BI solution. While it doesn't sync slicers directly between reports, it can provide a unified distribution mechanism where slicer configurations can be preset for consistency. You can check the following link to learn more about this:

What are Power BI template apps? - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

For more customized solutions, Power BI Embedded allows you to embed reports and dashboards into your application. The JavaScript API allows you to programmatically manage slicer synchronization across reports. This approach requires development effort but provides flexibility. Learn more about Power BI Embedded and its JavaScript API here:

Embed a report in Power BI embedded analytics | Microsoft Learn

How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly 

Best Regards

Yongkang Hua

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Yongkang, Thanks for responding on this query and sharing alternatives of solving this requirement. I would be happy if this can be achievable in Power BI eco system itself without developing any complex solution. May be by some way if we can enable some sort of relationship between Datasets hosted in same workspace and enable sync slicer across reports. I have submitted the idea for the same. expecting if this can be achievable in near future. 
Thanks

shubhamc_002
Helper I
Helper I

HI All, 

Idea submitted for above feature , would need your support for implementing this. Please vote here. 
https://ideas.fabric.microsoft.com/ideas/idea/?ideaid=95fc5646-3f11-ef11-9899-6045bd7b9cab

or please let me know if this can be achieved by some mechanism.

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors