Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

AMPAllie
Helper II
Helper II

Converting Everything To Service Account

I have over 500 reports, spanning 36 workspaces, refreshing from data in 17 dataflows which house untold numbers of tables pulled from various databases in various locations thoughout the US.  I have a VM acting as a server where my gateway lives. When I started 6 years ago, there was no IT department (it was outsourced), and everything is set up with my O365 user account. Now we have an IT department and they want to have all of Power BI run through a service account. I have looked in the MS documentation and can't find instructions on how to convert my environment to a service account. Can someone point me to detailed instructions? Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
SaiTejaTalasila
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Hi,

You can follow these steps:

1. Provide admin access to your SVC account for your workspaces and owner access to gateway connection.
  2. If your gateway connection is on-premises, update the SVC credentials on your connection.
  3. Take over your datasets and dataflows with your SVC account and refresh them.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
SaiTejaTalasila
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Hi,

You can follow these steps:

1. Provide admin access to your SVC account for your workspaces and owner access to gateway connection.
  2. If your gateway connection is on-premises, update the SVC credentials on your connection.
  3. Take over your datasets and dataflows with your SVC account and refresh them.

Thank you i will try this.

v-jianpeng-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @AMPAllie 

You can refer to the official documentation below for information on how to change the gateway's service account:

Change the on-premises data gateway service account | Microsoft Learn
Connect-PowerBIServiceAccount (MicrosoftPowerBIMgmt.Profile) | Microsoft Learn

vjianpengmsft_0-1715909761669.png

It is recommended that you first create a test report and data flow in a test gateway environment and make minor service account changes to ensure that your normal business will not be affected.

How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly

If it does not help, please provide more details with your desired output and pbix file without privacy information (or some sample data) .

Best Regards

Jianpeng Li

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thank you for your reply. Would this just be a small piece of the procedure? If I am the owner/creator of all reports, workspaces and dataflows. how would I convert those to the new service account?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

Power BI Carousel June 2024

Power BI Monthly Update - June 2024

Check out the June 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

Top Solution Authors