Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

andreiak
Frequent Visitor

Connections to BigQuery stopped working with VPC Service Controls error

Hi,

For over year asll dataflows worked without any issue, quering data from BigQuery.

Couple days ago all refreshes failed and I've not been able to refresh them or create a new dataflow  - the same error. 

Data Source Error : DataSource.Error: ERROR [HY000] [Microsoft][BigQuery] (100) HTTP Error 403: policyViolation (VPC Service Controls: Request is prohibited by organization's policy. vpcServiceControlsUniqueIdentifier: ...

I still can connect to BigQuery projects from PBI Desktop using the same credentials, but not from PBI Service. Any idea where and what do I need to look for?

1 REPLY 1
johnbasha33
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

@andreiak 

It seems that the error you're encountering, "DataSource.Error: ERROR [HY000] [Microsoft][BigQuery] (100) HTTP Error 403: policyViolation (VPC Service Controls: Request is prohibited by organization's policy)", is related to VPC Service Controls. VPC Service Controls provide an additional layer of security by defining a security perimeter around Google Cloud Platform resources.

Here are some steps you can take to troubleshoot and potentially resolve the issue:

1. **Check VPC Service Controls Configuration**: Verify the VPC Service Controls configuration in your Google Cloud Platform (GCP) organization. Ensure that there are no recent changes or updates that might be affecting access to BigQuery resources from outside the organization's perimeter.

2. **Review Organization Policies**: Review the organization policies configured in your GCP organization. There may be policies related to VPC Service Controls or access to BigQuery resources that have been recently updated or enforced.

3. **Check Network Configuration**: Ensure that the network configuration and firewall rules in your GCP project allow access to BigQuery from external services, such as Power BI Service. Review any recent changes to network settings that might be blocking access.

4. **Verify Credentials and Permissions**: Double-check the credentials and permissions configured in Power BI Service for connecting to BigQuery. Ensure that the credentials have the necessary permissions to access the BigQuery datasets and tables.

5. **Contact Google Cloud Support**: If you're unable to resolve the issue with the above steps, consider reaching out to Google Cloud Support for assistance. They can help troubleshoot any issues related to VPC Service Controls and access to BigQuery resources.

6. **Monitor Service Health**: Keep an eye on the service health and status notifications for Google Cloud Platform. There may be reported incidents or outages that could be impacting access to BigQuery.

By following these steps and investigating the potential causes of the error, you should be able to identify and address the issue preventing refreshes of dataflows and connections to BigQuery from Power BI Service.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Appreciate your Kudos !!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Kudoed Authors