Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

MK97
Frequent Visitor

Connection for Excel with on-premise gateway

Hello,

I have created a report using Power-BI Desktop. I am using two kinds of data:

- a locally stored Excel files. 

- Data from an SQL Server. 

And I have two servers:

-In Server A I have installed on-premises gateway

-In Server B I have all .xlsx and .pbix files.

I have uploaded this report (from server B) in the app.powerbi.com. Now I want this report to update automatically. For this reason, I have installed an enterprise gateway in Server A.  Through this Gateway, I can update the SQL data with no problem.

I  have created a test report with SQL data only.  This is working perfectly with the enterprise gateway, but my reports with SQL data and Excel file data is not updating through the enterprise gateway.

Gateway connection:

MK97_1-1643370086688.png

Problem: when I am trying to add Excel file to on-premise gateway I get this error:

MK97_0-1643370796171.png

Thank you very much for your help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Burningsuit
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @MK97 

Your gateway machine (Server A) needs to have access to the Excel files on Server B. This can be through a network share or other method, but whatever way you use you should check that Server A can open the Excel files on Server B. Server A can already access the SQL database, which is why it can work, but has no access to the Excel files.

Think of a Gateway as a Power BI User sitting on Server A, it needs to have access to all the files used in the Report or it won't be able to refresh them.

An alternative option is to put the Excel files on Server A if you don't want to set up a network share in Server B for Server A's access.

Hope this helps

Stuart

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Burningsuit
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @MK97 

Your gateway machine (Server A) needs to have access to the Excel files on Server B. This can be through a network share or other method, but whatever way you use you should check that Server A can open the Excel files on Server B. Server A can already access the SQL database, which is why it can work, but has no access to the Excel files.

Think of a Gateway as a Power BI User sitting on Server A, it needs to have access to all the files used in the Report or it won't be able to refresh them.

An alternative option is to put the Excel files on Server A if you don't want to set up a network share in Server B for Server A's access.

Hope this helps

Stuart

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors