Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Selvarajen
Frequent Visitor

Connecting to Power BI data set in excel

Hi. I have a dataset in power bi workspace and I have constructed a report in excel file by connecting to the dataset in the power bi service. The dataset is not shared with everyone in my team. But during routine validation, i can see that everyone in my team are now able to view the data set when they connect via the option "Power BI datasets" in excel. 
File - Data - Get Data - Power BI datasets. 
They are able to build a pivot by connecting to the dataset even when they have no access to the workspace. I verfied the microsoft docs and it clearly states that one has to have access to the workpace as a member or access to the data set which is not the case in my scenario. 
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/collaborate-share/service-connect-power-bi-datasets-excel#....

Additional input is, the dataset is built by connecting to a sharpeoint folder for which my whole team has read access to. Is this causing the issue ? But however, in Power bi service, no one except for my manager has access to the workspace. 
Am i doing something wrong. Can someone assist me ?

4 REPLIES 4
Burningsuit
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @Selvarajen 

As the documentation says, there are many ways that access and build rights can be shared.

The simplest way to see who can do what, is to go to "Manage Permissions" on the Dataset...

Burningsuit_0-1646825309233.png

Then go to "Direct Access", that'll show who has access to the Dataset. If they're Workspace members or contributors, you can remove them from the Workspace access, if they have "Build" rights through another method you can remove this via the three dots menu on the right of the user, and remove build rights or remove the user.

Burningsuit_1-1646825387194.png

Hope this helps

Stuart

Dear @Burningsuit .. Thanks for your message. The team does not have direct access or a shared link to report/dataset. It is just me and my manager who have the access. But while connecting from excel, the whole team is able to connect to the the data set and create a pivot table which is currently the problem. 

Hi @Selvarajen 

Did you look at the Permissions on the Dataset ? Is that completely empty ? Just you and your manager, no others or groups ? Whilst you're there look at the Links, you have no shareing links ?

Stuart

Dear @Burningsuit .. Yes indeed. Thats is exactly why i am so confused. In the data set settings, only me and my manager have access. There are no shared links. Its just empty. 😞 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Kudoed Authors