Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

mbahonen
Helper II
Helper II

Connect to same datasource configured in multiple gateway clusters

Hello,

I've seen a variation of this question here Re: Report with two datasources in different gatew... - Microsoft Fabric Community but its not quite what I'm asking about. I have a report that has two database connections. They connect to our internal DEV, UAT and PROD environments. We'd originally created gateway source connections in their separate clusters. We have a DEV, UAT and PROD gateway cluster. However, we're rethinking our needs and use cases, and have a need to sometimes have DEV, UAT and PROD in one report (performance monitoring, etc), so I added the two DB's that had previously only been configured on the DEV and UAT gateway cluster to our PROD gateway cluster. So now, both the DB's needed for our report are on the SAME gateway cluster (PROD). But the original two in DEV and UAT resepectively are still there. 

I have tried variations of these combinations, and even changed the name of the source connection to distinguish it, but I when I try to connect the gateway to the dataset it still only finds the prod version and doesn't let me save even that. I would expect to see all of these available with a DDL to the source.  

Any suggestions? I believe on a past team (with a bit of a simpler set up) I've done this before but wondering if something I'm missing is happening or is this just not possible and I'm mis-remembering?

See screenshot (i've deleted some info, but shouldn't matter).

mbahonen_0-1689890708405.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
mbahonen
Helper II
Helper II

Update on this... turns out there was a small deviation in the server connection string being used by the report publisher and our gateway source. It all works fine, and there was no need to change the source name (though I have anyway for clarity). 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
mbahonen
Helper II
Helper II

Update on this... turns out there was a small deviation in the server connection string being used by the report publisher and our gateway source. It all works fine, and there was no need to change the source name (though I have anyway for clarity). 

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @mbahonen 

What I would suggest is making sure that each database connection gets a different connection string. And then configure this for each data source?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Can you clarify what you mean by connection string? I only am able to change the name of the source connection on the gateway. I have tried that (by adding another letter to the name), and it doesn't seem to change anything. If you mean something else, please clarify.  Thanks!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors