Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Trotter
Frequent Visitor

Composite Model: Issues publishing to another Company via Azure B2B

Hi 

Has anybody managed to distribute a composite model to an employee from another company?

I have been using the composite model feature which has been great and has hugely sped up the development time for my reporting.

However, I cannot seem to distribute the composite report to employees in an another company, which is proving to be very problematic.

I can distribute the same composite report, complete with row level security, to staff from my own company and it works fine.

And I have also managed to use the Azure B2B method of granting access to give an the separate company employee access to a model that is not composite (it is a Direct Query only).

The problem only seems to occur with the specific combination of a composite model and a separate company.

Any help would be gratefully received.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Trotter ,

Maybe you can try enable this.

Admin portal -> Tenant settings -> Export and sharing settings

vchenwuzmsft_0-1651136845324.png

Export and sharing admin settings - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ chenwu zhu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Trotter
Frequent Visitor

Thanks.

You might be right. I'll test this tomorrow and see if it works.

I had view and build allowed for the underlying dataset (called community care extract) but not for the dataset that is created when I set up the composite model (called Home care report). See the diagram below.

I will change to allow build on the Home care report as well and see if that works. 

Trotter_0-1650912889001.png

Hi @Trotter ,

Did that work?

Maybe you need to check if the guest user(employees in an another company) has the read permission of the Home Care report dataset.

vchenwuzmsft_0-1651049551713.png

Manage dataset access permissions - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Best Regards

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Unfortunately it has not worked, I have tried adding build and viewer access.

I think the issue might lie with the Azure B2B process, I did not have "Invite external user to your orgnaisation" allowed when the Azure B2B invite was sent to the external employee.

I'm going to try ticking this and resending the invite to see if it fixes the issue.

Hi @Trotter ,

Maybe you can try enable this.

Admin portal -> Tenant settings -> Export and sharing settings

vchenwuzmsft_0-1651136845324.png

Export and sharing admin settings - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Best Regards

I found that I needed to resend the Azure B2B invite after changing the settings mentioned in the posts above and that worked.

Thanks

bcdobbs
Super User
Super User

What licence do the remote users have?

Ben Dobbs

LinkedIn | Twitter | Blog

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! This will help others on the forum!
Appreciate your Kudos!!

Hi Ben

They have pro-licences.

So far I have been testing on one employee who has a profile with my company and the external company.

So she has an email with my company (.....@healthcarehomes.co.uk) and the external company (.....@manorcourtcare.co.uk).

She now has 2 pro licences, one for both of these profiles.

Regards

Matthew

What permissions are assigned to the remote user on the dataset (click the three dots next to dataset and click permissions. Is it read or read and build?

I'm wondering if it's related to this:

Update to required permissions when using composite models on a Power BI dataset | Microsoft Power B...

Historically anyone accessing a report based on a composite model needed build permissions on all datasets in the chain. They've changed it so anyone with PPU or Premium only needs read permissions but the constraint is still currently present for those with just pro licences.

Ben Dobbs

LinkedIn | Twitter | Blog

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! This will help others on the forum!
Appreciate your Kudos!!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Kudoed Authors