Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Macks
Frequent Visitor

Comparing a selected Value from one table to All values in another table.

Hi Power Bi community,

I am relatively new to Power bi, I feel like this should be simple but i cannot figure it out.

Essentially I am trying to compare a single selected value in one table against all values in another table.

So for example

Table 1 

prices

Table 2

Thresholds

Outcome:

If i select 100 in thresholds, it compares all prices to 100 and marks 1 if its above or 0 if its below. If i select 150 it compares all the values to 150 and marks 1 if its above or 0 if its below, and so on.

So for an example outcome (assuming here i have selected 150)

pricesCheck

Quick note as well,

I am also using DirectQuery for table 1 and imported an excel sheet for thresholds. 

Thank you all in advance for the help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-chenwuz-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Macks ,

You can try this expression to reach that.

check =
IF (
    ISBLANK ( SELECTEDVALUE ( Table1[prices] ) ),
    "Please select one value",
    IF (
        SELECTEDVALUE ( Table2[Thresholds] ) > SELECTEDVALUE ( Table1[prices] ),
    )
)

Result:

vchenwuzmsft_0-1649666869842.png

Pbix in the end you can refer.

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ chenwu zhu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-chenwuz-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Macks ,

You can try this expression to reach that.

check =
IF (
    ISBLANK ( SELECTEDVALUE ( Table1[prices] ) ),
    "Please select one value",
    IF (
        SELECTEDVALUE ( Table2[Thresholds] ) > SELECTEDVALUE ( Table1[prices] ),
    )
)

Result:

vchenwuzmsft_0-1649666869842.png

Pbix in the end you can refer.

Best Regards

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hello!

I tried this using a calculated column, I had to use Related on table2(thresholds), if i dont, it says: expressions that yield variant data type cannot be used to define calculated columns

So when i use Related,

It states that my Threshold table doesnt exist or doesnt have a relationship to any table availabe in the current context. My current relation from thresholds to price is one to many (one threshold relates to many prices). 

Also as a quick side note, i searched SELECTEDVALUE here: SELECTEDVALUE function - DAX | Microsoft Docs, and it says 

• This function is not supported for use in DirectQuery mode when used in calculated columns or row-level security (RLS) rules

Is there a work around for all this?

sorry for all the questions!

Hi @Macks ,

If you use a calculated column, then there is no way to select threshold. selectedvalue does not make sense when used in a calculated column. Actions at the report level are not fed back to the data table.

A workround for selectedvalue() is max(). MAX() is supported for use in DirectQuery.

Please share that your pbix file does not contain sensitive information. and the expected results. I apologise as I am not entirely understanding why you need to use related?

Best Regards

My apologies! i couldnt open the file for some reason so i assumed you created a calculated column but once i was able to open the pbi i realized you made a measure! I marked it as the accepted solution, thank you so much for the help!

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors