Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

neilcotton
Frequent Visitor

Changes to Source DB on a Direct Query dataset is now showing

Good morning all.

We have a SQL Server connected through a Data Gateway. The refresh is pulling through new records, however we added some additional columns into the view that is being used as the source for this dataset. I can't seem to get the new columns to appear in the dataset (Either directly from the PBI Service or through the Report in Desktop.

In the report in desktop, I can not change the storage mode, I can not change the datasource to point directly to the Server through the gateway, I can only select other existing datasets. I CAN add in the direct connection to the SQL server as Import, and see the new columns, but they are added as ADDITIONAL tables, rather than updating the existing.

There were no transformations done through PowerQuery on Load, so even if I look at PowerQuery Editory, there are no tables in there at all.

Can anybody suggest anything? As to why the semantic model isn't updating with the new columns, but does update the data, so refresh is working, OR how to change the report to Import mode?

Many thanks

3 REPLIES 3
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

No need to change to import mode.  In Power BI Desktop hit Refresh - for Direct Query connections that will update the meta data and your added columns will appear.

Hi @lbendlin 

Thank you for the reply. I know that is what normally would happen, however, for whatever reason, nothing would work to get the new columns to come through.

Clear the caches in Power BI Desktop.

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors