Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Change data source in Power BI Dataflow

I have created a Dataflow using Azure SQL Server as source. Now, the name of the server got changed rather server got changed. I am unable to get any option to change the name of the data source of the Dataflow. Is there any way to update the data source name in Dataflow?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
v-alq-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @Anonymous 

You may click 'Edit Entities' and go to Power Query.

a1.png

Then you can go to 'Home' ribbon, click 'Advanced editor' and modify the server name in the qurey.

a2.png

Best Regards

Allan

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

Hi, @Anonymous 

I'd like to suggest you use 'Manage Parameters' to parameterise a data source. You may use the corresponding parameter replacing the server name. If you want to change the server name, you just modify the parameter as what you want.

For further information, you may refer to the article .

Best Regards

Allan

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
v-alq-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @Anonymous 

If you take the answer of someone, please mark it as the solution to help the other members who have same problems find it more quickly. If not, let me know and I'll try to help you further. Thanks.

Best Regards

Allan

v-alq-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @Anonymous 

You may click 'Edit Entities' and go to Power Query.

a1.png

Then you can go to 'Home' ribbon, click 'Advanced editor' and modify the server name in the qurey.

a2.png

Best Regards

Allan

This was not helpful for me. I'm trying to change the soruce for my data flow which is not from Azure SQL Server. There should be a way to change the source from ANY source I would hope. 

Hi @v-alq-msft ,

I have a similar issue except that the link I want to update is between the report and the dataset, not the dataset and it's source.

When I created report B it was supposed to be using the dataset A.  But when I published it, it created it's own dataset.  That's another issue I'm have to address eventually (probably bad workflow or manipulation).  But the fact is that I now want to report B to use dataset A without having to redo report A from scratch.

molegris_1-1595350224488.png

I tried the Advanced Editor as you suggested in your answer but it's refering to the link between the datasets and the dataflow... and it's identical in both report.  I also check the Data source parameters screen but it only offers me to update the credentials for "Dataflow Power BI" connection.

Can you help me please?

Thanks

Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-alq-msft , Thanks a lot for this. It worked. But In this case, I have to change the server name for all the entities one by one. Is there any way to do this at a time? Thanks again. 

Hi, @Anonymous 

I'd like to suggest you use 'Manage Parameters' to parameterise a data source. You may use the corresponding parameter replacing the server name. If you want to change the server name, you just modify the parameter as what you want.

For further information, you may refer to the article .

Best Regards

Allan

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors