Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

abed-dagangan

Can't see shared workspace

Hello,

I'm new to Power BI, so I started my trial for 60 days both for Power BI and Microsoft 365 (to access user management).

My purpose is to share a new created workspace (Project A) to people outside our organization.

Let's say my email is user_a@aaa.com and there's another user outside our organization (Toni) with an email user_b@bbb.com.

I have created a workspace (Project A) and successfully add user_b@bbb.com to this workspace as a viewer.

However, Toni can't see Project A under 'Workspaces'.

Did I miss some steps?

Need your help on this.

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-xiandat-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @abed-dagangan ,

To share a workspace with an outside user, you need to invite the guest into your organization before you can add them to the workspace.
If you do not have a Premium license, both you and the people you add to this workspace will need a Professional license so that you can access this workspace.

If you have a Premium license, you can assign this workspace to Premium capacity in the workspace settings. You can then add people to it who do not have a professional license. However, these people can only have read-only permissions in this workspace as the Viewer role. If they need a higher role, they will also need a professional license.

Therefore, whether you need more Professional or Premium licenses depends on the role you want others to play in the workspace and how you want to distribute content from the workspace. Premium licenses are not always required.

Below is the official link will help you:

Create a workspace in Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Distribute content to external guest users with Microsoft Entra B2B - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Best Regards,

Xianda Tang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
v-xiandat-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @abed-dagangan ,

To share a workspace with an outside user, you need to invite the guest into your organization before you can add them to the workspace.
If you do not have a Premium license, both you and the people you add to this workspace will need a Professional license so that you can access this workspace.

If you have a Premium license, you can assign this workspace to Premium capacity in the workspace settings. You can then add people to it who do not have a professional license. However, these people can only have read-only permissions in this workspace as the Viewer role. If they need a higher role, they will also need a professional license.

Therefore, whether you need more Professional or Premium licenses depends on the role you want others to play in the workspace and how you want to distribute content from the workspace. Premium licenses are not always required.

Below is the official link will help you:

Create a workspace in Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Distribute content to external guest users with Microsoft Entra B2B - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Best Regards,

Xianda Tang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

It's working now.

The missing step was https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/admin/manage/assign-licenses-to-users?view=o365-worl... which is a sub section of the article you've shared.

After applying this, I needed to wait for a few minutes for the change to apply.

Thanks a lot!

Hello Xianda,

Thank you for your reply.

I am now still in trial period (as well as the external party) so I think it's safe to say that we're at least on Pro license? I tried sharing Project A workspace with someone within our org and he can see the workspace.

I believe I've done this but I think I missed any steps since it doesn't show in Toni's.

abeddagangan_0-1708306919299.png

From the image above, the external is at the bottom.

zenisekd
Super User
Super User

Hi, If you shared it outside of your organization, then (in case the invitation is accepted) it will be found here:

zenisekd_0-1708071731244.png

Kudos and mark as solution appreciated 🙂

Invitation is accepted but still can't see it

abeddagangan_1-1708072857175.png

Any chance, your workspace is in premium (has a little diamond next to it) and he does not have a premium license (premium per user or fabric capacity)? 

Otherwise I would try to resend the invitation again...

It's not premium. I already set it as Pro

abeddagangan_0-1708074665379.pngabeddagangan_1-1708074686090.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Kudoed Authors