Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

SebastianOliver
Frequent Visitor

Can't export to power bi desktop format

Currently, I am granting individual users access and all permisions to specific dashboards while revoking their access to the workspace. However, upon granting these individual dashboard permissions, users are encountering difficulties when attempting to download Power BI in the online version. An error related to formatting is consistently appearing, preventing users from accessing the platform seamlessly.

image.png

7 REPLIES 7
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Are other users able to download the same pbix?

Yes, but only the ones that have workspace permission.

re-grant them access to the semantic model.

There is a very intricate, confusing and fragile link between app,  workspace and semantic model permissions.  Removing parts of these can lead to orphaned / inaccessible artefacts.

I gave the permissions as follows:

Workspace: not a member (None).

Semantic Models: All permissions granted.

Reports: Read, Reshare.

It still gives the format error.

Workspace:Reader

Reshare OFF!!!

The issue lies in my preference for certain users to not be able to access other dashboards within the same workspace, while still allowing them to download and view a particular dashboard within that workspace.

That's what the audience feature in apps is for.  If you cannot use apps you need to use separate workspaces.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors