Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Can't authenticate an OData connection in Power BI Online

I'm trying to publish a report that uses and OData connection for one of the graphs that pulls from Microsoft Graph Teams data. It works great in Power BI Desktop, as I'm able to authenticate using the Single Sign On that I'm used to with all Microsoft products while connected to my company's VPN. However, once we've published to powerbi.com and try to set up an automatic data refresh, the OData connection will not authenticate using OAuth2, which should be the single-sign on. It gives the message listed in the screenshot attached: 

2020-06-16_13-27-03.png

There's also this in the json that gets generated when I put in the url in the screenshot:

{
  "error": {
    "code": "InvalidAuthenticationToken",
    "message": "Access token is empty.",
    "innerError": {
      "date": "2020-06-16T17:32:26",
      "request-id": "62268e1d-dad2-4569-a273-b6177f398b6d"
    }
  }
}

Is there something I'm doing wrong or is there another way I have to generate an access token? 

6 REPLIES 6
collinq
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous ,

This error can pop up if you have the desktop file and the Service with different privacy levels.  Can you confirm that they are the same for the datasource on each side?

I would appreciate Kudos if my response was helpful. I would also appreciate it if you would Mark this As a Solution if it solved the problem. Thanks!

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Private message me for consulting or training needs.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Both are set to Organizational currently, and it seems to go through the same process each time to try and do the single-sign on, but on the Service then tells me that the credentials are invalid.

Hi @Anonymous ,

Ok, I am wondering if you have MFA setup and that is causing an issue?  And, I know it sounds silly, but have you tried to do this in another browser as well?  That said, it truly might be as easy as you need a new token (perhaps it expired by cache and/or by date or something).

I would appreciate Kudos if my response was helpful. I would also appreciate it if you would Mark this As a Solution if it solved the problem. Thanks!

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Anonymous
Not applicable

What's an MFA setup? 

Just tried it in IE (was told to use a different browser), Edge (in addition to the original error I was told that I needed to use SSL (HTTPS) when you use OAuth 2.0 authentication, which I already am so confused there), Firefox (would not let me log into powerbi.com using the same credentials), and Chrome, where the issue originated. 

Hi @Anonymous ,

MFA means Multi-Factor Authentication (as in, your phone gets a code to confirm it is you when you sign in.)

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Anonymous
Not applicable

No, no multi-factor authentication is set up. I just click and it takes me through a sequence of pages that validate my username through my company's firewall etc.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors