Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

gabriel-mendes

Can different Power-BI (Embedded) Service Principal Profiles share Capacity among each other

Hi all

I am reading through the docs of Power-BI embedded and I understand that for a scalable multi-tenant solution, we should use service principal profiles and create workspaces and datasoures per tenant within a profile.

I am also checking out the API to setup a tenant programatically and found this one: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/rest/api/power-bi/capacities/groups-assign-to-capacity

I wanted to ask if a capacity that I provision within my Azure resource group can be shared among the service principal profiles?

This would make administration easier, when increasing the capacity and managing it in general.

Many thanks for your help and kind regards

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hey @gabriel-mendes,

one SPN with multiple profiles, one for each customer. Each customer has its own workspace; all workspaces are assigned to the same capacity.

You (the human)

• manage the SPN
  • you manage the capacity
  • you manage the Power BI tenant

Everything works as you mentioned.

Regards,

Tom

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

Proud to be a Super User!
I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
TomMartens
Super User
Super User

Hey @gabriel-mendes ,

the simple answer is: yes.

A capacity can be considered as a some kind of computer that is able to allocate its resources to the demand raised by different users (the service principals).

I think, it's mandatory to clarify what you mean by "multi-tenant solution", my assumption, you are designing/building a solution that will be used by different clients and you want/have to separate data between these clients.
But there is only one Power BI tenant, run by your organization. This is important because there is this kind of hierarchy

... --> 1 workspace  * --> 1 capacity * --> 1 Power BI tenant 

Hopefully, this provides what you are looking for.

Regards,

Tom

I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

Hi @TomMartens 

Many thanks for your answer, this is already very helpful!

In terms of multi-tenant, I refer to multiple customers (tenants) in our system.

- We plan to have 1 service principal.

- Then, this service principal will have multiple profiles per customer.

- Each profile will have a workspace and a data source within.

As I understand, this means I can create 1 capacity and assign all the workspaces to this capacity and manage the capacity centrally (no need to increase/decrease capacity for each tenant, I can just manage one object).

Hey @gabriel-mendes,

one SPN with multiple profiles, one for each customer. Each customer has its own workspace; all workspaces are assigned to the same capacity.

You (the human)

• manage the SPN
  • you manage the capacity
  • you manage the Power BI tenant

Everything works as you mentioned.

Regards,

Tom

I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors