Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

millsmi
Frequent Visitor

Building an inventory report for report contact lookup

We run Self Service Power BI and often, our Service Desk receives a call from someone who wants access to a Power BI report but are unsure who they should contact to request access.  These requests end up coming to the technology team responsible for the global Power BI tenant.

We would like to build an inventory report and share it to all employee's in the company (35,000) so the service desk may redirect people to it.  The business user can then look up the report by name and find out who the support contacts are.

We have tried getting this information via Powershell, but even a Global Service Admin is unable to pull the contact & report name information if we do not have access to the workspace.

Does anyone know of a way, we can pull this information for all content?  Are there any tools that can be leveraged?  

4 REPLIES 4
collinq
Super User
Super User

Hi @millsmi ,

You should be able to get that information from the API. https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/rest/api/power-bi/    However, whenever a person tries to get to a workspace that they don't have access to and they click on the "Request Access" option, that request goes to the "Contact List" in the Workspace (which defaults to the Workspace Admins).

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Private message me for consulting or training needs.

This proposed solution won't work for us, we have thousands of workspaces and even though we do have the ability to grant ourselves access to workspace, we don't unless there is a legitimate reason.  Everything is audited and we are in a regulated industry.  We don't own the reports or the data (which could being highly sensitive) contained in workspaces.  It is also impractical to grant ourselves access or request access to thousands of workspaces.

There should be some way, we can identify the report contacts without actually granting access to the workspaces.

Hi @millsmi ,

I don't believe that there is any way to do this.  Perhaps turn in a ticket to Microsoft and see if there is any background way?  MAYBE, there is some way to do it in the O365 logging????   Either way, please let us know here if you find out a way to do it other than sugggested above!

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Private message me for consulting or training needs.

Hey Collinq,

Yeah, we have a support case already in with Microsoft, not getting very far with them unfortunately.  I think I will need to reach out to my CSAM to invoke a request to set up a Teams meeting with the appropriate PG.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Kudoed Authors