Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

alex55

Bigquery Power BI Web Service refresh issuee

Hi,

I have multiple datasets stored in bigquery. Since end of november i have issues while refreshing the power bi report on power bi web service.

Error Message:
Power BI Error: ODBC: ERROR [HY000] [Microsoft][DriverOAuthSupport] (8701) Error interacting with REST API: Couldn't connect to server ERROR [HY000] [Microsoft][DriverOAuthSupport] (8701) Error interacting with REST API: Couldn't connect to server Table: tableName.

As mentioned before the refresh works fine until the end of november and on power bi desktop it still works.

Concerning to the error message: The affected table changes every refresh, so I can't trace it back to one single table.

Are there any changes made to Power BI Service that could cause this error? Or any limits I'm not aware of?

Thanks for any help in advance!

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
v-diye-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @alex55 

You might refer to this post:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/REST-api-to-google-big-query-crashes/td-p/800366 

Community Support Team _ Dina Ye
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more
quickly.

View solution in original post

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey Alex,

Like Dina said, the current "solution" is to use a Dataflow as a data source instead of directly using bigquery as a data source. There is a bug in powerBI service or Bigquery that prevents it from working properly without using a dataflow. On the plus side, using dataflow has been 100% reliable for me, it never fails.

It would be a great help to me if you could respond in this Bug report to Google : https://issuetracker.google.com/issues/145895341

Microsoft is currently pointing a finger at BigQuery for having the issue, and I would like to make sure that it's not their issue.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-diye-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @alex55 

You might refer to this post:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/REST-api-to-google-big-query-crashes/td-p/800366 

Community Support Team _ Dina Ye
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more
quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey Alex,

Like Dina said, the current "solution" is to use a Dataflow as a data source instead of directly using bigquery as a data source. There is a bug in powerBI service or Bigquery that prevents it from working properly without using a dataflow. On the plus side, using dataflow has been 100% reliable for me, it never fails.

It would be a great help to me if you could respond in this Bug report to Google : https://issuetracker.google.com/issues/145895341

Microsoft is currently pointing a finger at BigQuery for having the issue, and I would like to make sure that it's not their issue.

Thanks!

So I've refreshed my dataset to use BigQuery>DataFlow>Dataset route and guess what. That piece of cr** is failing too. This overall BQ experience with Power BI has been 100% hopeless recently.

The first DataFlow refresh went OK, now I'm getting:

Error: We're sorry an error occurred during evaluation. Request ID: 3ae08f0e-d50f-02eb-2ac5-b8c8fc5f2d12 Activity ID: f75001d0-8a07-4f0c-99bf-e1b46a4102c0

Error: We're sorry an error occurred during evaluation. Request ID: 3f758db2-382e-4df2-bda8-77678c3b9821 Activity ID: ff82df66-3b30-4479-9904-3967939b6c29

These errors are from the dataflow refresh, not from the dataset refresh.

When I preview the tables loaded from BQ in the DataFlow section, I can see them OK, they load pretty fast. I'm only getting this error for one table:

Some complex types cannot be loaded in query XYZ.

And as a final punch, when I was writing this post for the first time, the posting failed too and I lost everything!

Seems like nothing is working here.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Kudoed Authors