Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

johnjohn123
Regular Visitor

Available Options to securly show/embed a PowerBI report inside SharePoint on-premises 2013 page

I have a SharePoint enterprise on-premises farm 2013, and I am not sure what are the available scenarios to securly show/embed a PowerBI report inside my SP on-premises pages.

Currently i did the following steps:-

1. I have a SharePoint list named “Cost Sheet”.
  2. Now i open my Power BI Desktop application inside my PC.
  3. I click on “Home” >> “Get Data” >> “SharePoint List” as follow:-

SPonprem.png

1. I added pie chart and i define the SharePoint columns inside the chart.

1. Then inside the PowerBI desktop application i click on publish, as follow:-

piublish.png

1. This opens the report inside PowerBI web site.

1. From there i click on “File” >> “Publish to Web”

publishtoweb.png

1. I get the generated iframe code, i went to my SharePoint on premise page and i add a script editor web part, and i paste the iframe code.
  2. Now the PowerBI report got embedded inside my page.

But i have the following question about the above:

1. Now the above approach is not secure as it will publish the report to the web, so any user can view the report. Now if I have SharePoint on-line this problem is solved with the option to “Embed in SP online” instead of using “Publish to Web”.. but seems for SharePoint 2013 on-premises, the PowerBI application does not provide similar option for SP on-premises to securely publish a report? can anyone advice on this please? How to securely publish a powerBI report inside SP on-premises? and is there an option for SP on-premises similar to “Embed in SP online”??

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5
v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @johnjohn123,

Currently, there is no such a direct option to embed Power BI report into SharePoint on-premises, similar to embedding in SharePoin online. Apart from "Publish to Web", maybe you can try to use Page Viewer and the add-in "Power BI Tiles for SharePoint".

Best regards,

Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@v-yulgu-msft wrote:

Hi @johnjohn123,

Currently, there is no such a direct option to embed Power BI report into SharePoint on-premises, similar to embedding in SharePoin online. Apart from "Publish to Web", maybe you can try to use Page Viewer and the add-in "Power BI Tiles for SharePoint".

Best regards,

Yuliana Gu

thanks for your reply. but i think the Page Viewer is only avilable for SP 2016 on-premises, while i am using SP 2013.

also for the "Power BI Tiles for SharePoint" it requires SP online and also the modern interface,,,, so these 2 options will not work for SP 2013 on-premises...

Hi @johnjohn123,

Please check Massimo Luinetti's suggestion here. You may need to edit the web part with custom code to directly get the report from Power BI service.

Regards,

Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Not really. There really isn't a good way of doing this for SharePoint on-premises. What I can think of would be using Power BI Embedded but not sure if that would be violating the licensing agreement for that. I think it would as Power BI Embedded is really intended for non-internal users.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

thanks for your reply. but to get your point clearly , can you please advice more on these points:-

@smoupre wrote:

Not really. There really isn't a good way of doing this for SharePoint on-premises.

so you mean there is not an option to Embed PowerBI report inside sharepoint on-premises? and the only way to show a PowerBI report inside sharepoint on-premises will be to in-securely Publish the Report to the web ??

@smoupre wrote:

What I can think of would be using Power BI Embedded but not sure if that would be violating the licensing agreement for that. I think it would as Power BI Embedded is really intended for non-internal users.

i did not get your point exactly. you mean i can use the “Embed in SP online” option inside on-premises sharepoint pages, but i might be violating the license agreement??

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Kudoed Authors