Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

GJA
Helper II
Helper II

Automatically create a sharepoint page embedding power bi report

Hi, 

in my organization we use sharepoint to share power bi reports with users. 

It means that for each new published report we need to create a new sharepoint page embedding the report.

Does anyone has an idea on how we can automate the creation and publication of the sharepoint page ? I thought to use power automate but I don't know it the entire process is feasible.

Many thanks

6 REPLIES 6
GJA
Helper II
Helper II

Hi, 

thanks for the replies. We want to share reports with sharepoint because we have a premium embedded licence. I think to share the pbi app users must have a pro licence ?

SharePoint does not factor into Power BI licensing in any regard, they are independent. You can interact with PBI premium without going through SharePoint at all. 

Hi, 

I think I misunderstand : 

We have workspaces with premium embedded licence 

GJA_0-1695803147763.png

So we need to embed the reports in websites to share with users. If the report is shared using a website it can be read by a users who do not have a licence. If we directly share the report by app.powerbi.com the users can't read the report. That's why we use sharepoint to create pages and embed the reports.

May be there is a better way to share the reports ? With the power bi applications there is almost no customization for the navigation through pages.

Yeah, but the thing is you don't have to use PBI Embedded for your viewers to not need a license. PBI Premium alone will do this, that's what most orgs doo. PBI Embedded is usually what you use if you want people without a login to your M365 environment (e.g. external users) to view reports. 

christinepayton
Super User
Super User

You might be able to do this with Power Automate Desktop (not cloud), but it sounds like you should be using a Power BI app instead and linking to the app from SharePoint. Apps are designed to be the navigation experience for reports in a workspace. 

JoeBarry
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @GJA 

I'm personally not aware of such a Automate process. 

Without knowing the reasons why your company embeds reports in SharePoint, I would ask this question of them

Since the End User needs at least a Power BI Pro Account to view a report, why not create an App within a workspace in Power BI service that hosts all the reports? They are quite flexible on who can see which report. More info here https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/consumer/end-user-apps

Thanks

Joe

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Kudoed Authors