Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

kgummuluri
Regular Visitor

Assign Power BI Pro to guest users

I am currently evaluating Power BI Service and clicked on try Pro for free.  I am assuming this gives me a trial version of Power BI Pro.  I am able to push data and create reports, workspacea and publish apps, etc.  When I use the admin user or any user I create in the organization I can install the app and view. 

I assigned a license to a guest user (external user) in O365 Admin Portal.  I published an App and shared it with the guest user.  The gues user received an email.  But as a free user the guest user is not able to install the app.  The app is visible in the available apps in Power BI.  Any ideas? Or is this because I am using the trial version.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @kgummuluri,

That's clear now. As far as I know, we can't assign a Pro trial to users. The users have to click "Try Pro" explicitly. The guest uses can consume the Power BI contents after clicking "Try Pro for free". Why not do that?

Best Regards,
Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @kgummuluri,

The guest user needs a Pro account (or Pro trail) in your scenario. Please refer to power-bi/service-admin-azure-ad-b2b#licensing.

Best Regards,
Dale

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@i @v-jiascu-msft,

Thank you for replying to the post.  I was using the link you posted.  In that link it clearly states that if I assign a pro license from my tenant to the guest user the guest user will be able to view the content.  If he guest user alaready has a pro license what is the point os assigning a pro licesne to the guest user.  I am missing something. 

Here is the text from the documentation -

Assign Power BI Pro license to guest user

Assigning a Power BI Pro license to the guest user, within your tenant, allows that guest user to view the content.

Note

A Power BI Pro license from your tenant applies to guest users only when they access content within your tenant

Hi @kgummuluri,

It seems the guest can view the contents but the guest can't install the App. Right? If so, I have consulted the Product Team. I will update here later.

Best Regards,
Dale

Actually, the guest can see that there is an app they have been given access to but as soon as the guest clicks on the app to access it asks for upgrade and does not allow the user to proceed.  Since I assigned Power BI Pro license to the guest user, it shoudl have allow the guest to view the app contents just like any other Pro user.

Thanks for the help.

Hi @kgummuluri,

It works in my test. Can you share some snapshots? Please refer to my test below.

Assign-Power-BI-Pro-to-guest-users

Best Regards,
Dale

As mentioned earlier I am using the trial version of Pro.  As an admin using the trial version I am able to create and view apps.  When I assign the trial pro version to a free external user, external free user is not able to view the app without upgrading to pro.

active users.PNGexternal user signed in.PNGasking to upgrade.PNG

Hi @kgummuluri,

That's clear now. As far as I know, we can't assign a Pro trial to users. The users have to click "Try Pro" explicitly. The guest uses can consume the Power BI contents after clicking "Try Pro for free". Why not do that?

Best Regards,
Dale

Hi Dale,

Thank you so much for your help and confirming that this is an issue only with the trial version.  So, you are confirming that assigning a regular Pro license (i.e. one that is not a trial version) to a gues user works.  That is, the guest user will be able   That is guest users will be able to install and consume an App without themselves buying a Pro license.  That is all I wanted to test for now.  We will buy Pro licenses and possibly use this strategy for guest users who do not have Power BI Pro licenses.  At this stage that is all I wanted to test.  I accept your answer as a solution.

Thanks,
Krishna Gummuluri

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors