Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

abayless
Advocate II
Advocate II

Admin settings - Dataset Security

I need some clarification on exactly what the "Block republish and disable package refresh" setting under the Dataset Security group does. It goes on to say "Disable package refresh, and only allow the dataset owner to publish updates." I'm afraid the documentation on this setting provides no further information.

What does "disabling package refresh" mean in this context? Can workspace members still refresh datasets for reports they are not the owners of? What is the 'package' referring to here -- is it just the datasets? The dataflows?

What does "block republish" mean here? Does it only keep members from replacing a pbix file they don't own on the service with their own desktop file of the same name? If they're members of the workspace, can they still make/save visual edits to existing reports on the service even if they are not the owners of the report?

1 REPLY 1
otravers
Community Champion
Community Champion

"Package refresh" refers to loading a PBIX file in the service as both a dataset and a report (unless it's a thin Live Connection report, in which case there's no dataset). That excludes dataflows, and doesn't trigger a dataset refresh.

The "block republish" option applies in the context of deployment pipelines, I'm not sure whether it affects other parts of the Power BI ecosystem (API calls maybe?). Hopefully other people will chime in, I agree that this is poorly documented and worded.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/create-reports/deployment-pipelines-process

------------------------------------------------
1. How to get your question answered quickly - good questions get good answers!
2. Learning how to fish > being spoon-fed without active thinking.
3. Please accept as a solution posts that resolve your questions.
------------------------------------------------
BI Blog: Datamarts | RLS/OLS | Dev Tools | Languages | Aggregations | XMLA/APIs | Field Parameters | Custom Visuals

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors