Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

javiernbox

Add data to a regular dataset or one report with multiple datasets?

Hi,

I am quite new at power bi, so this might be a dumb query. I am trying to build a web application that embeds a power bi report which has its dataset gathering the raw data from a MySQL database. This has been made in power bi desktop and then published to power bi service.

The issue is that by design, the user of the app is able to add data (rows) to certain tables of the power bi report (it means of the dataset), however this function of "add rows" to a dataset is only available for "Push Datasets", it means, datasets created through APIs. And if I use APIs to create the Push Datasets, I wont be able to get the original data from the MySQL database since Push Datasets only allow add data by APIs.

In the other hand, is not an option to only insert the rows directly to the mysql database (actually the plan was insert the rows in both, dataset and mysql db for data consistency), since the synchronization between dataset and mysql db last about 10 minutes (large data) and the idea is that the operation is in real time for a proper user experience.

So my question is, is there any way to have a single report fed by two datasets? (a "regular dataset" fed by mysql db, and other "push dataset" fed by data push thorugh api requests). If not, is there a better aproach to accomplish what I describe?

Thank you in advance.

1 REPLY 1
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

No, but you could change your MySQL data source to Direct Query. Except that isn't supported yet - vote for the idea

Microsoft Idea · Direct query with mysql Databases (powerbi.com)

or explore an ODBC connection.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Kudoed Authors