Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

markpatton
Helper I
Helper I

Access to Application without a Microsoft account

Is there anyway to provide user access to our Power BI application without requiring a Microsoft Account. Our application uses RLS based on email login. We are creating entries in the Azure Active directory and inviting users with thier own private email. This is a bit of a hassle because to access the application they are forced to create a Microsoft account. 

Is this just a hard requirement? Do users accessing a application with RLS require a Microsoft Account linked to their personal Emails. I just want a way that they could log into the Power BI application without being forced into a Microsoft Account.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Burningsuit
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @markpatton 

Row level security works by providing the user login details associated with the PowerBI licence (free, pro or ppu). So users must have a PowerBI licence for RLS to work. There is no exception to that, having some sort of PowerBI licence is a hard requirement. I think the details required for a free licence are quite light, just a corporate email address, but they must register to view any shared report.

hope this helps

Stuart

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Burningsuit
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @markpatton 

Row level security works by providing the user login details associated with the PowerBI licence (free, pro or ppu). So users must have a PowerBI licence for RLS to work. There is no exception to that, having some sort of PowerBI licence is a hard requirement. I think the details required for a free licence are quite light, just a corporate email address, but they must register to view any shared report.

hope this helps

Stuart

In order to view the application tyou do need a power bi pro license. In our case we are inviting our clients as guest users to our tenant and assigning them a power bi pro license via outlook 365. What I am trying to avoid is forcing them to create a Microsoft account for thier personal emails (gmail, outlook, etc). When the email is added to Azure active directory they are invited to our tenant but forced to create a Microsoft account. This is what I am trying to avoid but it does not look possible.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors