Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

jclum
Frequent Visitor

ALM for reports, dashboards and datasets

Hello -

I am in seach of a strategy in Power BI service for dashboard, report and dataset development, UAT and production.
I have read about deployment pipelines.  A separate tenant for dev and UAT was also suggested.
I'm curious what others have implemented along with the pros and cons of the selection.

Thank you.

Jeff

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ibarrau
Super User
Super User

Hi. Just for the heads up Deployment pipelines works in one single tenant creating three workspaces. Deploment Pipelines is the only tool that will let you work with environments including dashboards. Any other approach will only work for datasets and reports. Another approach available at the tool right now is the "git integration" for premium capacities. You can align an Azure DevOps git repo Branch with a workspace. That way you can control version your reports and dataset developments creating a Branch and workspace for Dev, UAT and Prod. When you commit/push to the brach, the workspace integration will automatically deploy the report and keep it available with last changes.

Those two are the "default" settings available at the tool. Then you can build your own ideas thinking about workspaces as environments, drive or repo technologies for control version and DevOps pipelines (using power bi rest api for deploying).

I hope that helps,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
jclum
Frequent Visitor

Thank you Ibarrau

ibarrau
Super User
Super User

Hi. Just for the heads up Deployment pipelines works in one single tenant creating three workspaces. Deploment Pipelines is the only tool that will let you work with environments including dashboards. Any other approach will only work for datasets and reports. Another approach available at the tool right now is the "git integration" for premium capacities. You can align an Azure DevOps git repo Branch with a workspace. That way you can control version your reports and dataset developments creating a Branch and workspace for Dev, UAT and Prod. When you commit/push to the brach, the workspace integration will automatically deploy the report and keep it available with last changes.

Those two are the "default" settings available at the tool. Then you can build your own ideas thinking about workspaces as environments, drive or repo technologies for control version and DevOps pipelines (using power bi rest api for deploying).

I hope that helps,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors