Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Report Server monitoring / log files

Hi, am I correct in thinking that currently there are no monitoring tools for PBIRS - so users connected, any kinds of locks currently occuring etc?

We have an issue where PBIRS will not let us replace an existing report right now and I'm assuming its some kind of lock issue. The error I see in the RSPortal log file says "An error occurred when invoking the authorization extension. ---> System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object."

Also on the subject of log files - are there any settings for purging them and location of them? We've ran up quite a few gigs worth of log files in the last two months and I dont know if I should be managing these or if PBIRS manages them itself?

1 REPLY 1
Jon-Heide
Employee
Employee

Hi Anthony - The object reference error is coming from the auth extension. Are you using custom auth or something other than windows integrated? If you have a consistent repro, do let us know. Or contact Microsoft support who can help you diagnose this further (e.g. it could be a product defect).

Concerning monitoring and log files, PBIRS uses the same infrastructure as reporting services. You can see more info on that here

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms157403(v=sql.105).aspx. There are server config options to control this behavior and limit files size. But yes, the server should limit and cap log files automatically. One thing to check, if you are seeing DMP or MDMP crash dump files. These could be happening if you are seeing obj reference exceptions in the logs.  

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.