Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

niniison
Frequent Visitor

Matrix visual shows extra blank rows (abnormal)

Hello,
I have an issue with viewing matrix visuals on Power BI service.
When I edit the report in Power BI desktop, I chose to show a "non-stepped layout". However, when published to Power BI service, the matrix automatically becomes "stepped-layout" and has extra blank rows. Is there a reason why there is this behavior ?
Thanks, 
Annie

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-rongtiep-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi all,

This problem has now been mitigated, so please try it.

You can also try to update the theme file.

Best Regards
Community Support Team _ Rongtie

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
v-rongtiep-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi all,

This problem has now been mitigated, so please try it.

You can also try to update the theme file.

Best Regards

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

nohowUp_fnDown
Advocate I
Advocate I

I'm seeing the same thing. @Lozzahoff , are you saying we have to edit in the service to fix this?

- Myles

nohowUp_fnDown_0-1716325398614.png

Answered my own question.

Editor in Service has options as mentioned by @Lozzahoff Here's some visuals for you all:

nohowUp_fnDown_1-1716325900391.png

and the corrected matrix

nohowUp_fnDown_2-1716326028673.png

simonchung
Frequent Visitor

I'm having a same issue, help MS team fix it asap, thanks

v-rongtiep-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @niniison ,

Have submitted this issue internal to confirm, would update here as soon as possible if there is any update about it.

Best Regards

Hello v-rongtiep-msft, thanks for your reply. However, it does not answer the issue I am currently facing (it rather illustrates it).

I have indeed turned off stepped layout in Power BI Desktop, it just gets automatically switched "on" when the report is published to Service.

Best regards,
Annie

Hi,

So I had the issue where blank rows started appearing in one of my matrix visuals too and it only happened on the service and not in the desktop version. I was faffing with relationships and all sorts to work out what was going on and then I realised the Visuals team have made an update to the matrix visual (https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/new-power-bi-matrix-layouts-pbicorevisuals-cr1if/) and it's been applied to the service but hasn't reached the desktop version yet, the options just aren't there in the April desktop release. So I've had to change my visuals using the web service editor (from Outline to Tabular) whilst I wait for the May desktop release which should happen soon.

Hope that helps.

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Kudoed Authors