Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

How to create dynamic header

Hello there,

I hope everyone is fine.

I need some urgent help as per my customer needs.

Does someone know how to create dynamic header in Power BI report server desktop?

I have a table with different month columns of the previous year and the current year. So in my current table previous_01 is  Jan 2020 and Current_01 is Jan 2021 and so on.

dyanamic.JPG

Dyanmic.JPG 

What my customer wants that column should be dynamic and not static. So if we refresh data next year, the column name Previous_01  should change into Jan 2021 and not Jan 2020. Similarly, for column name Current_01 should change into Jan 2022 and not Jan 2021. Any idea how to achieve this?

Many thanks in advance for your support 🙂

Regards,

Ankit Parihar

6 REPLIES 6
KBO
MVP

@josef78 ,

did you mean changing header If you choose a filter? Thats a really easy thing to do 🙂 -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYLKDPcvgK8

Best,

Kathrin

If this post has helped you, please give it a thumbs up!
Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

josef78
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

I'm not sure what @Anonymous need to see, but I think it is not about dynamic title, but about dynamic header in table.

I'm think it is not problem, dynamic header in Power BI is supported is supported, it is well know feature, it is "pivot table".

But for pivot table you need prepared data, and you can easy use unpivot function in power query part. 

V-pazhen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@Anonymous 

I had the same question before with my research and test, I am pretty sure currently power bi do not have dynamic header feature, as @josef78  mentioned, there are ways to make it very close to your requirement but in the actual report you cannot make it with a clean method. 

Best Regards
Paul Zheng

josef78
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Use dynamic column names is not problem (you can use dynamic parameter in rename function), but how you will manage in visualisation?

Another idea, use unpivot function, to transform from columns to rows. Transoform atributes as you want, and add sort column. And in visualisation use pivot table to show as you want (in columns, dynamicaly, and in correct order)

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous No real clean way to do this. Perhapsa Card visualization that you layer over top of the column header name. You would create a measure to return the desired text and use that in the Card visualization.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the reply Greg. Could you explain me with an example? 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.