Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

M_nwadibia
Resolver III
Resolver III

Configuring email in reporting service

Hello,

I need help in configuring email in reporting service. The Reporting service was installed and email setting configured with settings (Eml-svc-xxxxx) different from sender email jjjjjjjj@uuu.com I want and SMTP server is different with unknown password. This is not working. I have contacted my email administrator and he is not helpful and below is his response. I am confused here. I need some clarification on how to move forward. I expected to use sender email, smtp, authentication type and type in user name and password. 

Below is the response from my administrator.

Eml-svc-xxxxx gets used for lots of things but I can’t tell you exactly what.   The reason you can’t use the sending address you are wanting to use is that part of the authentication process uses the email address of the AD object to do the LDAP lookup when authenticating.  ID, Password, and sending address are all needed to send through authenticated sender.  The email address listed with the AD object is eml-svc-nutsql is eml-svc-xxxxx@xxxxxxx this is why anything else will not work, even if you use the right password.

If you try to use the one you are using, it actually isn’t in a group that is allowed to send messages.  I don’t know what the password is to the restore-reporting account, what the account is used for or if it’s used multiple times.

DocumentLoaderProcess@xxxxxxxxxx and RH-Relay@xxxxxxxxxxx use the same method.  These appear to be public facing servers sending email some kind of way back into the external email gateway.

Are yall relaying to a ???? relay at Restore LA? That is then natted and sent out through the email gateway?  This isn’t something I’m used to seeing. Why not use this

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-xiaoyan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @M_nwadibia ,

Report server e-mail delivery is implemented on Collaboration Data Objects (CDO) and requires a local or remote Simple Mail Transfer Protocol (SMTP) server or SMTP forwarder. SMTP is not supported on all Windows operating systems. If you are using the Itanium-based edition of Windows Server 2008, SMTP is not supported. For more information about configuration options provided through CDO, see Configuration CoClass on MSDN.

The configured authentication account must have permission on the SMTP server to send mail.

The default e-mail delivery extension does not provide support for digitally signing or encrypting outgoing mail messages.

E-Mail Settings in SSRS Native mode (Configuration Manager) - SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS) |...

Best regards.
Community Support Team_ Caitlyn

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
v-xiaoyan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @M_nwadibia ,

Report server e-mail delivery is implemented on Collaboration Data Objects (CDO) and requires a local or remote Simple Mail Transfer Protocol (SMTP) server or SMTP forwarder. SMTP is not supported on all Windows operating systems. If you are using the Itanium-based edition of Windows Server 2008, SMTP is not supported. For more information about configuration options provided through CDO, see Configuration CoClass on MSDN.

The configured authentication account must have permission on the SMTP server to send mail.

The default e-mail delivery extension does not provide support for digitally signing or encrypting outgoing mail messages.

E-Mail Settings in SSRS Native mode (Configuration Manager) - SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS) |...

Best regards.
Community Support Team_ Caitlyn

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.