Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

krypto6969
Helper II
Helper II

Can I do this legally?

So we have on premise Power Bi. We have Enterprise Edition of SQL2022 and software assurance on a physical server and we are completely legal.

What I am thinking about doing is only for DR reasons:

Can I move/install just the Power Bi server software on a new VM server? So that just the power bi web services are on the VM server. Then using configuration manager point to my report server database on the existing physical server (point to the HA listener)? That way if my physical server goes down or fails over (high availability) the power bi web portion on the VM server will use the listener to find the report server database. The web site part of power bi will work because its now on a VM.

I'm pretty sure this will work as I have tested parts of this in my dev environment.

Assuming this will work, am I legal still as we have paid for SQL2022 Enterprise and software assurance and its using the powerbireportserver database that is on SQL2022 with S/A and fully licenced?

2 REPLIES 2
krypto6969
Helper II
Helper II

Wait? Really? I thought if you were running power bi on prem version you had to (to be legal) have Enterprise SQL and Software assurance? I can use SQL standard to host my power BI on prem?

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/reporting-services/reporting-services-features-supported-by-th...

I'm so confused.

d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

This is only legal if the VM cores running the report server VM are also covered by SQL Enterprise with Software Assurance. 

However it is worth noting that the server running the database for report server does not need to be the Enterprise Edition. You can run the Standard Edition for that if you don't require any of the Enterprise features.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors