Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

woptastic1
Regular Visitor

Bug in CommentBelongsToUser stored procedure ReportServer database

Have May 2022 installed using custom authentication, user can create comments but then if they try to delete a comment, error pops up stating An error has occurred. An error occurred within the report server database. This may be due to a connection failure, timeout or low disk condition within the database.  When reviewing RSPortal log file it adds in System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Procedure or function 'CommentBelongsToUser' expects parameter '@UserSid', which was not supplied. Since this is custom authentication their is no @UserSid. If I modify stored procedure to set a default of NULL to the @UserSid parameter the issue is resolved, though this will likely get ovewrote on any SQL Server or Report Server patching. Would think this should be addressed

3 REPLIES 3
woptastic1
Regular Visitor

No, since I had already done that prior to posting. Since this is code being fired by Microsoft on deleting a comment from Power BI we can't modify it and since the stored procedure itself can be overwritten on upgrades it's not really a feasible solution

woptastic1
Regular Visitor

Thanks, this is more or less what I ended up doing however this is Microsofts own stored procedure within their ReportServer database, so any changes to their schema have a high likelihood of being overwritten with updates. It's also their own code that is executing, just seems they didn't think through custom authentication all the way 

v-luwang-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @woptastic1 ,

Sadly, SqlCommand objects ignore any SqlParameter object in their .Parameters collection with a value of null.In my opinion, this is by design.

There are two solutions to this problem that I found.

1. In our stored procedures, give a default value to each parameter, so from @Parameter int to @Parameter int = NULL (or some other default value as required).

2. In our code that generates the individual SqlParameter objects, assigning DBNull.Value instead of null where the intended value is a SQL NULL does the trick.

refer:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/19703653/stored-procedure-or-function-expects-parameter-which-is... 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Best Regards

Lucien

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Kudoed Authors