Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: New and Returning Customers

233 Views
jason435 Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

I thought that was an error at first as well.

It depends on how you interpret the meaning of subtotal. Once you think about it, the only way that makes sense is what Marco did.

The subtotal row is filtered for the entire period above it. 2007 was the first year, so all customers are new customers in 2007 by definition. If the return customers subtotal was the total of each month's returning customers, new plus returning customers would be more than total customers. That wouldn't make sense.

So would the student @lcaseylike to take over and show the class a better solution? Smiley Wink

kirko Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Hi

What would the measure be for existing customers? or lost customers? this solves for the exact problem I am trying to solve!

thanks

andrewt Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

This measure was returning more new customers than total customers until I modified this part of it: 

VAR NewCustomers =
CALCULATE(
  [Customers],
  FILTER (
    FirstPurchaseCustomers,
    CONTAINS ( VALUES ( 'Date'[DateKey] ), 'Date'[DateKey], [DateOfFirstBuy] )
   )
)
RETURN
  NewCustomers

This now seems to be returning the correct values for me. 

marcorusso Member

That column name should be the column used for the relationship. You are probably using DateKey instead of Date.

Highlighted
Pedzilla Member

Im wondering what would you do if I want to consider New Customers to be New customer only if they dont appear in previous year only? For example 2016= Customer, 2017=Not a customer then return 2018 then I want to count this customer in 2018 as well as in 2016. How may i acheive that?

Thank you for your advice @marcorusso