Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

replacing specific text within Cells

I have several instances where "9-23-43-29E6" is mentioned in various cells in various forms (see below for some examples). I would like to replace only the "9-23-43-29E6" text. but it looks like the replace function looks for the whole cell to match. How can i do this in a broad reaching way as i have a lot of references to it in different forms.

Cell examples where the text will need to be repalced

9-23-43-29E6 - Stage 0

A9-23-43-29E6 - Stage 1

B9-23-43-29E6 - Stage 2

B9-23-43-29E6 - Stage 2, seen from 9-23-43-29E6

3 REPLIES 3
v-lid-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

How about the result after you follow the suggestions mentioned in my original post?Could you please provide more details about it If it doesn't meet your requirement?

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Dong Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
v-lid-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

We can try to use a replace step to meet your requirement:

= Table.ReplaceValue(#"Changed Type",each [Column],each if Text.StartsWith([Column],"9-23-43-29E6") or Text.EndsWith([Column],"9-23-43-29E6")  then Text.Replace([Column],"9-23-43-29E6","")  else Text.Replace([Column]," 9-23-43-29E6 ","")
,Replacer.ReplaceValue,{"Column"})

5.jpg

All the queries are here:

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WstQ1MtY1MdY1snQ1U9BVCC5JTE9VMFCK1YlWcsQqZwiWc8IqZ4RPTkehODU1TyGtKD9XAVmFUmwsAA==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Column = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Column", type text}}),
    #"Replaced Value" = Table.ReplaceValue(#"Changed Type",each [Column],each if Text.StartsWith([Column],"9-23-43-29E6") or Text.EndsWith([Column],"9-23-43-29E6") 
                                                        then Text.Replace([Column],"9-23-43-29E6","") 
                                                        else Text.Replace([Column]," 9-23-43-29E6 ","")
,Replacer.ReplaceValue,{"Column"})
in
    #"Replaced Value"

If it doesn't meet your requirement, Could you please show the exact expected result based on the tables that you have shared?

By the way, PBIX file as attached.

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Dong Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
HotChilli
Super User
Super User

You can use the Text.Replace   function in Power Query, for example,

Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "Custom", each Text.Replace([Column1], "9-23-43-29E6", "XXXX"))

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors