Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Nina_nax
Frequent Visitor

rename columns

Hello,

I have 14 dimension tables, and each table contains between 10 and 20 columns.
After importing the tables from my database, the columns were named as:  source_dim_name_of_table. name of columns

I want to rename all the columns keeping only the part after the . ie keep only name of columns. source_dim_name_of_table. name of columns
can someone help me please, because apart from doing it by hand, I don't see how I can do it otherwise.

Thank you for your help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
jennratten
Super User
Super User

Hello - it would be best to do this in Power Query.  You can do this by adding a new step to each table and use the Table.TransformColumnNames function, like this:

RenameColumns = Table.TransformColumnNames ( Source, each Text.AfterDelimiter ( _, "." ) )

Here is the full sample table with script:

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMlTSAeJYnWglIyDLCMwyBrKMlWJjAQ==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [source_dim.Test1 = _t, source_dim.test2 = _t]),
    RenameColumns = Table.TransformColumnNames ( Source, each Text.AfterDelimiter ( _, "." ) )
in
    RenameColumns

BEFORE

jennratten_0-1646396133902.png

AFTER

jennratten_1-1646396158358.png

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
jennratten
Super User
Super User

Hello - it would be best to do this in Power Query.  You can do this by adding a new step to each table and use the Table.TransformColumnNames function, like this:

Here is the full sample table with script:

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMlTSAeJYnWglIyDLCMwyBrKMlWJjAQ==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [source_dim.Test1 = _t, source_dim.test2 = _t]),
in
    RenameColumns

BEFORE

jennratten_0-1646396133902.png

AFTER

jennratten_1-1646396158358.png

Hello @jennratten , thank you so much, it works 🙂

Syndicate_Admin
Administrator
Administrator

Hi,

Not sure if this will work but it is my best idea so far:

1. Get the list of column names, following the suggested approach here: Get Collection Column Names - Matthew Devaney
2. and then try something like: ForAll(columnNames, RenameColumns(dataTable, columnName, Split(columnName, ".")[2]))

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors