Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

KrisF
Frequent Visitor

list.dates generates DataFormat.Error: We couldn't convert to Date

Hello, 

Within a Dataflow, I am attempting to generate a list of dates between a Start and and End Date however when i create the custom column the "DataFormat.Error: We couldn't convert to Date" error is generated. 

The example data i am using is in this table:

Start_DateEnd_DateDayDiffID
6/12/20214/29/20223211
4/30/20227/30/2022911
7/31/202212/31/9999501

The ultimate result i am looking to achieve is a list of dates that are the end of month dates the customer was present, The problem i am having is with an intermediate step. An example of the ultimate outcome:

End of MonthID
31/07/20221
30/06/20221
31/05/20221
etc1
etc1
etc1

The steps i have taken so fare include:

1. Changed Column Type of Start and End date columns to Date
  2. Inserted date subtraction column using an IF statement that generates the value 50 for rows that have "12/31/9999". The date "12/31/9999" is used to indicate that the customer ID is still active.
  3. Added a Custom column "AllDates" using the following M:
    Table.TransformColumnTypes(Table.AddColumn(#"Inserted date subtraction", "AllDates", each List.Dates([Start_Date], [DayDiff], #duration(1, 0, 0, 0))), {{"AllDates", type date}})
  4. The error generated, sample:
    DataFormat.Error: We couldn't convert to Date.Details{#date(2021, 6, 12), #date(2021, 6, 13)..........

The result of this will then allow me to continue the process to return all end of month dates.

I am hoping to create the "List" and then expant that list to identify specific dates. 

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
BA_Pete
Super User
Super User

Hi @KrisF ,

I'd do it this way:

Create a new column for a bounded end date that's not 7,000 years in the future:

endDateFilled =
if Date.Year([End_Date]) > 3000 or [End_Date] = null then Date.From(DateTime.LocalNow())
else [End_Date]

Create another new column for your date list:

List.Transform(
    { Number.From([Start_Date])..Number.From([endDateFilled]) },
    each List.Distinct(Date.EndOfMonth(Date.From(_)))
)

You should now be able to expand this new column for your list of month-end dates.

Pete

Now accepting Kudos! If my post helped you, why not give it a thumbs-up?

Proud to be a Datanaut!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
BA_Pete
Super User
Super User

Hi @KrisF ,

I'd do it this way:

Create a new column for a bounded end date that's not 7,000 years in the future:

endDateFilled =
if Date.Year([End_Date]) > 3000 or [End_Date] = null then Date.From(DateTime.LocalNow())
else [End_Date]

Create another new column for your date list:

List.Transform(
    { Number.From([Start_Date])..Number.From([endDateFilled]) },
    each List.Distinct(Date.EndOfMonth(Date.From(_)))
)

You should now be able to expand this new column for your list of month-end dates.

Pete

Proud to be a Datanaut!

KrisF
Frequent Visitor

Hi @BA_Pete 

Im calling this solved, however i went about it slightly differently. This is the process i used after your suggestion to fix the End_Date field:

1. Added the New End_Date field per your suggestion
  2. Added the DayDiff field using the PowerQuery process
  3. Added a list of all days using the following M:
    Table.AddColumn(#"Calc Day Diff End - Start", "AllDates", each List.Dates([Start_Dttm],[Subtraction]+1,#duration(1,0,0,0)))
  4. Expanded List successfully
  5. Merged with a aDate table that i created that has the EOM field aligned to the date. This allowed for equal cardinality, however created a mountain of duplications.
  6. Removed all date columns and Subtraction column 
  7. Removed all duplicates in table
  8. End. result is a distinct list of rows aligned to each month the customer was present and cross check accuratly with other sources.

Thanks for your suggestion. I will look to figure out where the issue is with the List Date suggestion you had a little later. 

KrisF
Frequent Visitor

Hi @BA_Pete 

I had a chuckle at the 7000 years in the future, we can be ambitious some times 🙂

The suggestion you have provided works right up until i split or expand the list  where the following error is generated:

Expression.Error: We cannot convert the value #date(2022, 7, 31) to type List.

Edit: i note the data type after the expansion is "any" where i chose "Date" at point of column creation. 
Thanks again for your assistance to date.

Go to a step in your query before you do these transformations. Go to the home tab > Keep Rows (dropdown) > Keep Top Rows, then enter 10 in the dialog.

Go through the query steps and see if you still get the error.

If you don't, add another 10/20 etc. rows etc. and keep going until you get the error again. You now have the range of rows in which your error is occurring.

Check these rows to see if there's anything obviously different about them that you can see.

If you can't see anything obvious yourself, filter your table to just the rows that are producing the error, then copy the whole table using the button at the top left of the grid in PQ, paste it into Home tab > Enter Data, then open Advanced Editor for this new, pasted table, copy all the code in there and paste it into a code window ( </> button ) here. I'll be able to have a look at what's going on myself then.

Pete

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors