Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

rishabjain237
Helper I
Helper I

how to check if a column contains any values present in a column of different table

Hi #community,
Need your expertise on Power Query.
I have table named Master append which has a column named Email ID
another table named List of domains has a column named Tech Generic
Tech Generic contains email domains such as "@gmail.com",",ac.it" etc.....
I have 15 Lakh Email IDs and 1400 Email Domains.
I want to create a new column in Master append which says "Generic" if a Email ID contains any of the tech Generic Value or else it says "Business".
Example:
I have tried :
= Table.AddColumn(#"Renamed Columns6", "Custom",
each if Text.Contains(Text.Lower([lead.email_address]), Text.Lower(#"List of Domains"[Tech Generic])) then "Generic" else "Business")
but it through error in the values
@Daniel29195 @Idrissshatila @Ritaf1983 
request for your assistance,

Thanks and Regards,
Rishab Jain

8 REPLIES 8
v-xinruzhu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @rishabjain237 

Thanks for the solution @Vijay_A_Verma  offered and I want to offer some more information so that you can refer to.

You can create a new custom column and input the following code.

List.Accumulate(
    List.Numbers(0, Table.RowCount(#"List of Domains")), 
   "Business", 
    (state, current) => if 
    Text.Contains(Text.Lower([lead.email_address]),Text.Lower(#"List of Domains"[Tech Generic]{current})) then "Generic" else state)

Output

vxinruzhumsft_0-1711347350797.png

Best Regards!

Yolo Zhu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

Vijay_A_Verma
Super User
Super User

In a custom column, put following

if List.Contains(#"List of domains"[Tech Generic], Text.AfterDelimiter([E Mail ID], "@"), (x,y)=>Text.Contains(x, y, Comparer.OrdinalIgnoreCase)) then "Generic" else "Business"

Since you are having a large number of rows, hence buffer this first and then use this buffered list. Complete sample code below

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WKk7Jc0jPzU3US87PVYrViVYqSywDCiRm5sBF0rISkxwqESrSMrLSMoACGfn5ELFYAA==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [#"E Mail ID" = _t]),
    BuffList = #"List of domains"[Tech Generic],
    #"Added Custom1" = Table.AddColumn(Source, "Custom", each if List.Contains(BuffList, Text.AfterDelimiter([E Mail ID], "@"), (x,y)=>Text.Contains(x, y, Comparer.OrdinalIgnoreCase)) then "Generic" else "Business")
in
    #"Added Custom1"

If you use below code, this will be 3 times faster than above

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WKk7Jc0jPzU3US87PVYrViVYqSywDCiRm5sBF0rISkxwqESrSMrLSMoACGfn5ELFYAA==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [#"E Mail ID" = _t]),
    BuffList = #"List of domains"[Tech Generic],
    Custom1 = Table.FromRecords(List.Transform(Table.ToRecords(Source), (x)=> Record.AddField(x, "Custom", if List.Contains(BuffList, Text.AfterDelimiter(x[E Mail ID], "@"), (x,y)=>Text.Contains(x, y, Comparer.OrdinalIgnoreCase)) then "Generic" else "Business" )))
in
    Custom1

Hi @Vijay_A_Verma 
Thanks for the reply.
I have tried the first solution it works but takes too much time as you said.
Decompressing all is really advanced stuff for me. I have tried to copy paste this into a new query
let
BuffList = #"List of Domains"[Tech Generic],
Custom1 = Table.FromRecords(List.Transform(Table.ToRecords(Source), (x)=> Record.AddField(x, "Custom", if List.Contains(BuffList, Text.AfterDelimiter(#"Master append"[lead.email_address], "@"), (x,y)=>Text.Contains(x, y, Comparer.OrdinalIgnoreCase)) then "Generic" else "Business" )))
in
Custom1

but got an expression error.
Expression.Error: We cannot convert a value of type List to type Text.
Details:
Value=[List]
Type=[Type]

It would be helpful if you could Guide me on how to make changes on this.
and make use of this new query.

I want this new column on the "Master append" table which is used on all the reports and uploaded in my power BI service with out refresh options.

In place of Source = ...., you will need to place your source. 

The will be of this type of thing

Source = Excel.CurrentWorkbook(){[Name="Table1"]}[Content]

@Vijay_A_Verma 
Iam not working on working on excel.
I am using a API URL in which I edit the date and column names. the connection is "Web"

Open you query, delete everything after Source line and paste below code. Source can be anything. I showed through Table.FromRows, it can come from a database, Excel or API.

So if if your query is like

Source = MyAPISource,

gjdh

in

ghdh

Delete everything from ghdh onwards. You just need to retain Source line. 

BuffList = #"List of Domains"[Tech Generic],
Custom1 = Table.FromRecords(List.Transform(Table.ToRecords(Source), (x)=> Record.AddField(x, "Custom", if List.Contains(BuffList, Text.AfterDelimiter(#"Master append"[lead.email_address], "@"), (x,y)=>Text.Contains(x, y, Comparer.OrdinalIgnoreCase)) then "Generic" else "Business" )))
in
Custom1

Okay. Thanks for explaining it in so detailed manner,
I have added the steps. it says function in the values.
functions(_as any) as any is displayed when I click on it.
@Vijay_A_Verma 

Please paste your complete query here.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors