Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Bassil74
Helper I
Helper I

formula in M language to calculate the max of dynamic list of columns in a new Column

I have a table called Indicators  withpivoted MPs, i.e. 1,2,3... 8  and this list will expand so MP9, 10...etc. 

Bassil74_0-1695293538143.png

i want to create a new column in the same Indicators table that calculate the max of the values for columns 1...8 which is taken from another table called Open_MPs which has recent values.    

Bassil74_1-1695293635719.png

So basically i need a way to List.Max with list of columns fetched from another table. Ca someone help me?

Appreciate it guys! 

4 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
AlienSx
Super User
Super User

Table.AddColumn(
  Indicators, "max", 
  (x) => 
    List.Max(
      Record.FieldValues(
        Record.SelectFields(x, Open_MPs[Open_MPs])
      )
    )
)

View solution in original post

Hi, @AlienSx 

let functions =
[Sum="List.Sum",Max="List.Max", Min="List.Min", Average="List.Average",Latest Value="List.Last"],
result = Function.Invoke(
Expression.Evaluate(Record.Field(functions, [calculationMethod]), #shared) ,
{List.RemoveNulls(Record.FieldValues(Record.SelectFields(_,Open_MPs[OpenMPs])))}
)
in result

Stéphane

= Table.AddColumn(Pivot_MPs, "Result", each
try Function.Invoke(
Record.Field(
[Sum=List.Sum, Maximum value=List.Max, Minimum value=List.Min, Average=List.Average, Latest value=List.Last, Manual value=List.Last],
[calculationMethod]??"Manual value"),
{List.RemoveNulls(Record.FieldValues(Record.SelectFields(_,Open_MPs[openMPs])))})
otherwise null) 

Stéphane 

17 REPLIES 17
Bassil74
Helper I
Helper I

Thank you @AlienSx  this works perfectly, i also further developed it to include multiple calculations as below

= Table.AddColumn(source, "Result", each
        let
            method = [calculationMethod],
            sumVal = List.Sum(Record.FieldValues(Record.SelectFields(_, Open_MPs[openMPs]))),
            maxVal = List.Max(Record.FieldValues(Record.SelectFields(_, Open_MPs[openMPs]))),
            minVal = List.Min(Record.FieldValues(Record.SelectFields(_, Open_MPs[openMPs]))),
            avgVal = List.Average(Record.FieldValues(Record.SelectFields(_, Open_MPs[openMPs]))),
            latestVal = List.Last(Record.FieldValues(Record.SelectFields(_, Open_MPs[openMPs])),-1)
        in
            if method = "Sum" then sumVal
            else if method = "Maximum value" then maxVal
            else if method = "Minimum value" then minVal
            else if method = "Average" then avgVal
            else if method = "Latest value" then latestVal
            else null
    )
which is working correctly. The one issue i faced is that one null value for the List.Last in the above script will dominate and return null even though other columns included in the calculations has actuall values. List.Average for example works correctly i.e. it doesn't include null values in the calcs. 

Thank you so much @AlienSx  this worked perfect! 

@Bassil74 also, try this instead

let
    functions = 
        [Sum = "List.Sum", 
        Maximum value = "List.Max", 
        Minimum value = "List.Min",
        Average = "List.Average",
        Latest value = "List.Last"],
    result = 
        Expression.Evaluate(
            Record.Field(functions, [calculationMethod]) & 
            "(List.RemoveNulls(Record.FieldValues(Record.SelectFields(_, Open_MPs[openMPs]))))"
        )
in
    result

This is working perfect. Now something new introduced, how to add to include to this code if [calculationMethod] = null then to run List.Last

try Function.Invoke(
Record.Field(
[Sum=List.Sum, Maximum value=List.Max, Minimum value=List.Min, Average=List.Average, Latest value=List.Last, Manual value=List.Last],
[calculationMethod]),
{List.RemoveNulls(Record.FieldValues(Record.SelectFields(_,Open_MPs[openMPs])))})
otherwise null) 

try Function.Invoke(
Record.Field(
[calculationMethod]??"Manual value"),
otherwise null) 

Stéphane 

I want to feedback on teh above, i found my query, which connects to API source, became very slow running the above part, it takes more than 15 mins to makethe calculations of ~ 200 records so i wonder if there is more efficient method than the above?    

this is A M A Z I N G. thank you so much @Stéphane 

I tried the the reviewed code but it is throwing this error

Expression.Error: [1,1-1,10] The name 'List.Last' doesn't exist in the current context.
Details:
[List]

@Bassil74 my bad, looks like it's not that easy as I expected. Have to get back to school again and learn more about environments in M. Disregard my code, please. 

Hi, @AlienSx 

let functions =
[Sum="List.Sum",Max="List.Max", Min="List.Min", Average="List.Average",Latest Value="List.Last"],
result = Function.Invoke(
Expression.Evaluate(Record.Field(functions, [calculationMethod]), #shared) ,
{List.RemoveNulls(Record.FieldValues(Record.SelectFields(_,Open_MPs[OpenMPs])))}
)
in result

Stéphane

This is working code, thank you @slorin . except that i gort this error message due to null values in the field [calculationMethod]:

We cannot convert the value null to type Text.
Details:
Value=
Type=[Type]

Use try ... otherwise

Solution without Expression.Evaluate

try Function.Invoke(
Record.Field(
[Sum=List.Sum, Max=List.Max, Min=List.Min, Average=List.Average, Latest=List.Last],
[calculationMethod]),
{List.RemoveNulls(Record.FieldValues(Record.SelectFields(_,Open_MPs[OpenMPs])))})
otherwise null

Stéphane

Thank you Stéphane, iam getting error at the try step when tried to implement your proposal

Bassil74_0-1695623749103.png

... each

let

try ...

Thank you AlienSx, well done

AlienSx
Super User
Super User

Table.AddColumn(
  Indicators, "max", 
  (x) => 
    List.Max(
      Record.FieldValues(
        Record.SelectFields(x, Open_MPs[Open_MPs])
      )
    )
)

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors